From: Orator on
mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

> In article <ididnXpXKuMNG2PZnZ2dnUVZ_tmdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, Bob Cain <arcane(a)arcanemethods.com> writes:
>
>>Orator wrote:
>>

>>>Please establish with proof, be it evidence, citation to a reputable
>>>study or sound logic, that radiation is actually blocked/absorbed, in
>>>other words retained by the molecule. It requires the mechanism for it
>>>to hold that radiation and prevent it leaking out.
>>
>>Mechanism: until it boinks off a neighbor it moves faster after
>>absorption than before it.
>>

> The extra kinetic energy a molecule acquires following the absorption
> of a visible (or less) photon is quite negligible. The energy is
> absorbed into vibrational or rotational degrees of freedom.

But where is the proof I asked for? It is a rather unique claim that was
made after all - one that seems to defy, not only logic, but all other
claims as well as physics.

Phil where are you, why are you running away from your claims?
From: Phil Hays on
kdthrge wrote:

> Diamond is a non- conductor idiot. At any normal temperature.

Really.

"The Hope Diamond -- the world's largest deep blue diamond -- is more than
a billion years old. It is a doped semiconductor, formed deep within the
Earth and carried by a volcanic eruption to the surface in what is now
Golconda, India."

http://webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/11.html

And room temperature is normal, unless we are talking IQ. Diamonds in many
ways are ideal semiconductors. It is relatively easy to make diamond pure
enough to to be made into transistors. It is relatively easy to "dope"
diamonds to be p-type, to the point of some natural diamonds are p-type.
For example, the Hope diamond. N-type is a bit harder, but see this:

http://www.freepatentsonline.com/6110276.html

Diamond has a very high thermal conductivity, so getting rid of heat is
easy. Diamond has a very high electron and hole mobilities. If your
computer was based on diamond rather than silicon, the transistors would
switch roughly 40 times faster. Also, diamond stays a semiconductor to
higher temperatures than silicon, allowing much higher power operation for
applications like radio transmitters.

--
Phil Hays
From: Orator on
Lloyd Parker wrote:

> In article <64uLg.24148$rP1.18372(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> wrote:
>
>>Lloyd Parker wrote:

>>>A small fraction. Consider a CO2 molecule as a sphere; only one narrow
>>>angle leads back into space.
>>
>>Yes it is such a "narrow angle" and "small fraction" that only some 53%
>>of the surface area radiates out to space.
>>

> Huh? A CO2 molecule at ground level? You're joking.

Did I say "ground level"? No I didn't. Did my post contain "ground
level" in it anywhere? No it didn't, it is a figment of your imagination.

Please explain why you claim "narrow angle" for the major portion of the
surface. What would you call the 6% smaller or minor portion?

From: mmeron on
In article <%2MLg.24573$rP1.13958(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>, Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> writes:
>mmeron(a)cars3.uchicago.edu wrote:

>>>Mechanism: until it boinks off a neighbor it moves faster after
>>>absorption than before it.
>>>

>> The extra kinetic energy a molecule acquires following the absorption
>> of a visible (or less) photon is quite negligible. The energy is
>> absorbed into vibrational or rotational degrees of freedom.
>
>But where is the proof I asked for?

I wasn't answering you. I made a specific comment regarding the
increment of kinetic energy due to photon absorption. You find it
inaccurate?

Mati Meron | "When you argue with a fool,
meron(a)cars.uchicago.edu | chances are he is doing just the same"
From: Orator on
Lloyd Parker wrote:
> In article <RWuLg.24200$rP1.5307(a)news-server.bigpond.net.au>,
> Orator <Orator(a)troll.bridge.net> wrote:
>
>>Phil. wrote:

> effect.

> made.

> when

>>>As I pointed out to Retief it's much more likely to lose that energy by
>>>collision in the lower troposphere.
>>
>>Really :-)
>>
>>Lets make this clear. You say a CO2 molecule blocks/absorb heat (to use
>>short hand). Then it hangs on to this heat till it travels down the
>>atmosphere against all laws of physics, until bad driving caused it to
>>have an accident and it collides, releasing the heat.
>>

> Most molecules do release their energy in collisions.

I note you do not disagree that you have claimed an event that does not
follow the laws of physics, ands you stand by that.

Isn't that what creationists resort to? Ignore the laws of physics in
their "intelligent design" (ID) dogma?

>>Of course this interesting chain of events needs a full explanation from
>>you regarding these points.
>>
>>Please establish with proof, be it evidence, citation to a reputable
>>study or sound logic, that radiation is actually blocked/absorbed, in
>>other words retained by the molecule. It requires the mechanism for it
>>to hold that radiation and prevent it leaking out.
>

> Bond vibrations. That's how molecules absorb IR in the first place.

Please answer the question without bogus nonsense like that.

You deleted this and ran away from it. What are you afraid of? Is it too
hard for you to answer this:

The second aspect is even more interesting. How does part of the
atmosphere that gets hotter by "retaining" heat, not rise in the air as
convection requires it to do? Provide the mechanism/fuel driving this
molecule down to the "lower troposphere" from the upper stratosphere.