From: Stan Hoeppner on
Frank Miles put forth on 3/22/2010 10:54 AM:

> The straight Intel board may be a better choice for most. I needed the
> RS-232 port, which is available with the Gigabyte board (external
> connector added)
> but not (so far as I could determine) with the Intel board.

Lame excuse Frank. ;) You just didn't care to look as your mind was
already made up to buy the GigaByte board. Look at the underlined below.

http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DH55TC/DH55TC-overview.htm

Peripheral interfaces

* Up to twelve USB 2.0 ports
* Six Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with two ports compatible with eSATA
* _One serial port header_
* One parallel port header
* One back panel PS/2 connector

If it doesn't come in the box you buy one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200466&cm_re=serial_port_header-_-12-200-466-_-Product

When there's a will, there is a way.

--
Stan

Mon, 22 Mar 2010 22:23:37 -0500 <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> Frank Miles put forth on 3/22/2010 10:54 AM:
>
> > The straight Intel board may be a better choice for most. I needed the
> > RS-232 port, which is available with the Gigabyte board (external
> > connector added)
> > but not (so far as I could determine) with the Intel board.
>
> Lame excuse Frank. ;) You just didn't care to look as your mind was
> already made up to buy the GigaByte board. Look at the underlined below.
>
> http://www.intel.com/products/desktop/motherboards/DH55TC/DH55TC-overview..htm
>
> Peripheral interfaces
>
> * Up to twelve USB 2.0 ports
> * Six Serial ATA 3.0 Gb/s ports with two ports compatible with eSATA
> * _One serial port header_
> * One parallel port header
> * One back panel PS/2 connector
>
> If it doesn't come in the box you buy one of these:
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812200466&cm_re=serial_port_header-_-12-200-466-_-Product
>
> When there's a will, there is a way.
>
> --
> Stan

On the topic of serial ports. What recommendations can be offered on PCI or add-in card RS-232 cards?

How well do they perform in terms of the Linux OS?

How well suited are they for capturing kernel boot messages?

An they can be used to provide a serial console, like a tty right?

-M

Take your contacts everywhere
http://go.microsoft.com/?linkid=9712959
From: Frank Miles on
To Pasi:

Sound has worked without any particular intervention - straight ALSA.
I don't do anything complex with the sound system, though.
As far as the video - while I'm presently using a custom-compiled
kernel, I'm fairly sure I was getting the same rates with the stock 2.6.32 kernel
available in 'testing'. I got a private e-mail telling me how I could do
much better with a separate card - and I'm sure that's true. But [a] I'm
not a gamer - so I don't really need super high rates - it is perfectly good
enough for rotating 3-d math plots or views of devices; and [b] the low power
consumption is important to me.
Having a quiet machine is great!

To Stan:

I don't upgrade my computers very often. The last time I did, network
cards seemed pretty much all operable with Linux drivers - including RealTek.
This has been a real disappointment to find that something has gone backwards
as far as Linux compatibility.

-Frank

Frank Miles put forth on 3/23/2010 10:37 AM:

> To Stan:
>
> I don't upgrade my computers very often. The last time I did, network
> cards seemed pretty much all operable with Linux drivers - including
> RealTek.
> This has been a real disappointment to find that something has gone
> backwards
> as far as Linux compatibility.

I absolutely agree that it should all just work. The reason for my playful
jab about the serial port is that I recommended the Intel board exactly
because of the Realtek chip on the GigaByte board, but then you bought the
GigaByte board anyway, against my recommendation. At that time I don't
recall you mentioning needing a serial port. Maybe I have you confused with
another OP here. If so, my apologies.

--
Stan

On 2010-03-23, Frank Miles <fpm(a)u.washington.edu> wrote:
> Sound has worked without any particular intervention - straight
> ALSA. I don't do anything complex with the sound system,
> though.

I tried the sound yesterday and it just worked. That was nice.

> As far as the video - while I'm presently using a custom-compiled
> kernel, I'm fairly sure I was getting the same rates with the stock
> 2.6.32 kernel available in 'testing'.

Actually I was referring to xorg driver. Do you use intel driver there?

> I got a private e-mail telling me how I could do much better with a
> separate card - and I'm sure that's true.

I have a Matrox G550 card in my old machine and video performance
has never been an issue. If the new integrated Intel graphics are
comparable, I'm quite satisfied.

Pasi