From: Frank Miles on
To Pasi:

I'm using the xorg stuff - nothing special from Intel.
Sorry for the ambiguity.

To Stan:

I didn't ask for, nor had I received any recommendation - you
must be thinking of someone else. You had responded to a query I raised
earlier when I had problems with the RealTek networking (which I thank
you for), but that was some weeks after I bought the board.
Before buying the board I had looked around for information on
hardware compatibility, but didn't find much. This kind of information
has an intrinsically short "shelf life".
For now the RealTek is working again, though needing a "nonfree"
driver.

-Frank

Pasi Oja-Nisula <pon(a)iki.fi> writes:

> I just retired my 9 year old machine to home use and got a Gigabyte H55-UD3H
> motherboard with Intel Core i5 processor. Well, the first impressions
> are that maybe I should have done a bit more research since there
> are Realtek net and audio chips that might have some issues.

Pretty much all motherboards come with realtek ethernet. It's well
night impossible to avoid.

I have a gigabyte board too. The sound is fine even though its a
realtek.

> Anyway,
> I have a 3com card for net

That sounds like a good plan.

> and don't necessarily need audio at all.
> The biggest concern now is with graphics in Xorg.
>
> I'm using Debian Lenny and obviously the integrated graphics are not supported
> there yet. But this is strictly a business machine (browser and a bunch
> of xterms mainly), so I think I would manage a while with even vesa driver.
> And I even got the vesa driver to work with 1280x1024 which fits my monitor,
> so this would be a fine solution for short term. Unfortunately the screen
> looks like this:
>
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
> 7 1 2 3 4 5 6
>
> So the right side of the picture is shown at the left. I just don't know
> how I could adjust this. I'm using a vga cable btw, maybe dvi cable would help?
>
> Anyone have any experience with the graphics in new Intel processors?
> Should I just leave this alone and get a low end ATI card (suggestions
> for something that would work out of the box)?

This would require a bit of research since the low end has moved up and
the xorg drivers typically lag behind. My x1950 works fine, but it's
now too ancient to find and you can probably do much better now.

What is the sweet spot for cheap ATI card these days?

--
Johan KULLSTAM

Johan Kullstam put forth on 3/27/2010 9:14 AM:

> Pretty much all motherboards come with realtek ethernet. It's well
> night impossible to avoid.

That statement is absolutely false. There are plenty of mobos on the market
with Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, nVidia, Via, and other ethernet on board.

If you'd have said "Pretty much all _cheap_ motherboards come with Realtek
ethernet" I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, I've seen a $55
($40 after rebate) ECS board on Newegg with Broadcom ethernet on board, so
not even all cheap boards use Realtek ethernet chips, although _most_ do.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246

Hitting $75 USD and climbing up from there you'll see many more boards with
non Realtek ethernet.

--
Stan

On Wed, Mar 24, 2010 at 01:56, Pasi Oja-Nisula <pon(a)iki.fi> wrote:

> I have a Matrox G550 card in my old machine and video performance
> has never been an issue. If the new integrated Intel graphics are
> comparable, I'm quite satisfied.

Intel i5 Graphics are enormously more powerful than a G550.

A G550 is, at best, in the general category as the Intel GMA 900
(the G550 did have hardware transform and lighting, which the
GMA 900 series lacked, but overall perf. was still similar). The
Core i5 graphics are some 7 generations removed from the
GMA 900.

Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> writes:

> Johan Kullstam put forth on 3/27/2010 9:14 AM:
>
>> Pretty much all motherboards come with realtek ethernet. It's well
>> night impossible to avoid.
>
> That statement is absolutely false. There are plenty of mobos on the market
> with Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, nVidia, Via, and other ethernet on board.
>
> If you'd have said "Pretty much all _cheap_ motherboards come with Realtek
> ethernet" I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, I've seen a $55
> ($40 after rebate) ECS board on Newegg with Broadcom ethernet on board, so
> not even all cheap boards use Realtek ethernet chips, although _most_ do.
>
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246
>
> Hitting $75 USD and climbing up from there you'll see many more boards with
> non Realtek ethernet.

Thanks. I just wish that newegg would put "ethernet" with "realtek" as
a powersearch field so I could more easily reject the crabcard.

--
Johan KULLSTAM