From: Kelly Clowers on
On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 07:14, Johan Kullstam <kullstj_ml(a)verizon.net> wrote:
> Pasi Oja-Nisula <pon(a)iki.fi> writes:
>>
>> Anyone have any experience with the graphics in new Intel processors?
>> Should I just leave this alone and get a low end ATI card (suggestions
>> for something that would work out of the box)?
>
> This would require a bit of research since the low end has moved up and
> the xorg drivers typically lag behind.  My x1950 works fine, but it's
> now too ancient to find and you can probably do much better now.
>
> What is the sweet spot for cheap ATI card these days?

It depends the intended use, but the 4000 series with OSS drivers does
compiz, ioquake3, urban terror, etc. these days, and as of 2.6.33, KMS for
ATI is out of Staging.

There are still improvements to be made in the 4000 series, but they work:
http://wiki.x.org/wiki/RadeonFeature

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Johan Kullstam put forth on 3/27/2010 1:31 PM:
> Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> writes:
>
>> Johan Kullstam put forth on 3/27/2010 9:14 AM:
>>
>>> Pretty much all motherboards come with realtek ethernet. It's well
>>> night impossible to avoid.
>>
>> That statement is absolutely false. There are plenty of mobos on the market
>> with Broadcom, Intel, Marvell, nVidia, Via, and other ethernet on board.
>>
>> If you'd have said "Pretty much all _cheap_ motherboards come with Realtek
>> ethernet" I'd be more inclined to agree with you. However, I've seen a $55
>> ($40 after rebate) ECS board on Newegg with Broadcom ethernet on board, so
>> not even all cheap boards use Realtek ethernet chips, although _most_ do.
>>
>> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813135246
>>
>> Hitting $75 USD and climbing up from there you'll see many more boards with
>> non Realtek ethernet.
>
> Thanks. I just wish that newegg would put "ethernet" with "realtek" as
> a powersearch field so I could more easily reject the crabcard.

I was thinking the exact same thing a couple of hours ago (and at other
times in the past). Advanced/power search by ethernet chip type, sata chip
type, etc seems logical. It currently lets you search by onboard video
chipset, northbridge, socket and CPU type for Pete's sake. It outta let you
search by all chip types on the board. There are only a handful of ether
chips soldered to mobos these days. They list over 3 dozen video chips.
It's not like they're lacking room to list the ether chips...

I'll see if I can put in some kinda request.

--
Stan

On 2010-03-27, Kelly Clowers <kelly.clowers(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Intel i5 Graphics are enormously more powerful than a G550.

Good to hear that.

I just need my xterms and browser. Maybe sometime watch a youtube video,
but that's about it. And for people like me this new Intel graphics
thing seems like a perfect match. Well, maybe the previous generation of
integrated graphics would have suited me as well.

The motherboard issue with these new H55 boards is not quite as clear as
it seems. I understand that this is new technology and maybe it would
have been wise to see the next batch of motherboards. But right now the
choice was between plain Intel and Gigabyte or Asus with features and
more expansion possibilities. And when some review mentioned some doubts
about the capacitors in Intel board (not that they weren't good, but
that they weren't the top quality), that made me take the Gigabyte. The
problem (or how I see it) is that the Intel H55 board offered now isn't
the kind of rock-solid oozing with quality -type of product that I would
expect and pay a premium for. But instead it's kind of reference
implementation that actually is quite moderately priced. Don't know,
maybe it's just too cheap to be taken seriously :-)

This is getting a bit silentpcreviewish post, but if someone is in the
market for this kind of desktop machine, this is what I got:
Intel Core i5-670 3.46GHz processor
Prolimatech Megahalems cpu cooler
Nexus Value 430W power supply
Antec P183 case
3 x Noctua NF-S12B FLX fans (with ultra low noise adapter in use)
Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3H motherboard

The whole bunch works fine and quiet out-of-the-box without the need for
underclocking or undervolting that the old processors required (and that
Intel boards don't support). In this light the plain Intel motherboard
would have been sufficient. Anyway, so far I'm extremely happy with the
result.

Pasi