From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Tue, 8 Jun 2010 21:33:00 -0400, "jch" <jch(a)nospam.com> wrote:

>Thank you. I was never clear on why the various pre-image, prep, and kill
>files needed to be loaded first.

If all else fails, you can usually find stumble by stumble
instructions. Some of them are amazingly accurate. The problem is
that while many routers look the same, major differences in chipset,
boot loaders, and board design, make it impossible to use a single
procedure.

>I've now loaded and begun to play around with the
>DD-WRT 14311 beta for the Linksys 160NL router. There's a feature present
>in the micro generic version of 13064 (which I'm using on my WRT54Gv5.1
>configured as a wireless bridge) which is not included on the later 14311
>firmware - at least I can't find it.

The version of DD-WRT for the WRT54G v5 and v6 mutations is a "mini"
version, lacking in some features. V5 and v6 simply do not have
enough working memory to install the full kitchen sink. The feature
set also changed in the middle of V24 Pre SP2. Good luck decoding the
mess:
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/What_is_DD-WRT%3F>

>It gives the ability to automatically
>shut on/off the router radio based on time of day. For example, I wanted to
>shut down the wireless portion of my 160NL between say 12am and 6am. I can
>do that with the 13064 firmware but not the 14311 - again unless I'm missing
>it.

As I recall (maybe wrong), that was removed in the mini version
because that feature could also be accomplished with a shell script
and a crontab entry. I'll see if I can find it, but not now.

>Other than issues like that, the 160NL seems to be comfortably running
>DD-WRT. There are dozens of goodies which aren't defined in the help pages
>which I'm unsure about. Guess I'll keep playing. Maybe later I'll try some
>of the other mods possible with resident scripts.

The help pages are mostly intended as a memory jogger, not as a full
documentation man page. Try the Wiki:
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/>
Lots in there, but watch out for old and obsolete junk that hasn't
been cleaned out.

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com