From: jeepers on
Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?

From: Mike Easter on
jeepers wrote:
> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
> a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?

At the same time? How would that work?

Wouldn't the 'device' (router/AP) need two radios to do that?

And then (exactly) what would its function be?

Do you have some kind of existing commercial presumably expensive device
to exemplify what you are talking about?

--
Mike Easter
From: Steve Fenwick on
In article <875p4aFnhkU1(a)mid.individual.net>,
Mike Easter <MikeE(a)ster.invalid> wrote:

> jeepers wrote:
> > Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
> > a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?
>
> At the same time? How would that work?
>
> Wouldn't the 'device' (router/AP) need two radios to do that?
>
> And then (exactly) what would its function be?
>
> Do you have some kind of existing commercial presumably expensive device
> to exemplify what you are talking about?

Apple AirPort Extreme has a feature called "guest networking" that may
do what you want.

<http://www.apple.com/airportextreme/features/frequency.html>, about
2/3rds of the way down. Also <http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3477>

Steve

--
steve <at> w0x0f <dot> com
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of
From: Bob on
On 08/06/2010 03:03, jeepers wrote:
> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
> a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?

Since you didn't specify a router it is impossible to say whether 3rd
party firmware will work or not on your unknown router.
There was a tutorial on wi-fiplanet that used DD-WRT to create "multiple
SSID networks"
<http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_3714521_2> this
was from 2007.
There is also this from DD-WRT:-
<http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs>
note from this that different broadcom based routers have different
capabilities when trying to run multiple WANs.
From: bod43 on
On 8 June, 08:33, Bob <b...(a)invalid.invalid> wrote:
> On 08/06/2010 03:03, jeepers wrote:> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
> > a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?
>
> Since you didn't specify a router it is impossible to say whether 3rd
> party firmware will work or not on your unknown router.
> There was a tutorial on wi-fiplanet that used DD-WRT to create "multiple
> SSID networks"
> <http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_3714521_2>  this
> was from 2007.
> There is also this from DD-WRT:-
> <http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs>
> note from this that different broadcom based routers have different
> capabilities when trying to run multiple WANs.

I realise this is more costly than two consumer grade routers
unless maybe on ebay but Cisco 870W range can do more than
one SSID. Only one radio so both on the same channel.
You most likely need the Advanced IP Services feature set IOS
software.

Up to 4 perhaps? I only use two at the present.

ssids can be on different IP subnets.

The newer 880 will I guess be able to do this too as will
any of the models that take the WIC card based Wireless
modules.

Many of the cisco Access Points can house multiple radios.
Normally 802.11a and 802.11g but perhaps two Gs can be used?
This would allow two channels and most likely (I haven't checked)
loads of ssids.