From: Mark on
On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:08 PM, Merciadri Luca <
Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> A last problem (still for me) is that the `Bootable flag' thing is not
> clear: you can choose to put the bootable flag on, say, /tmp/ (if you
> choose to put /tmp/ on a seperate partition), where I don't think that
> it could have any interest (except making things messy).
>
> Don't hesitate to comment this.

Yes, but you said this wasn't for beginners in your original post so if a
non-beginner can't get the Bootable Flag set up on the right partition to
boot, they are not a non-beginner...so this point probably doesn't apply.
From: Klistvud on
Dne, 29. 06. 2010 22:48:59 je Merciadri Luca napisal(a):
> the distinction the Debian installer makes
> between the `/' as it is normally in Linux filesystems, and the `/' in
> the installation process, which is actually everything except what was
> asked to be put on other partitions.

And what, pray, would that distinction be? IIRC "the '/' as it is
normally in Linux filesystems" is exactly that: everything except what
you put on dedicated partitions.

But then again, I may have misunderstood your question in the first
place ...

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 2:18 PM, Merciadri Luca <
Luca.Merciadri(a)student.ulg.ac.be> wrote:

> Mark wrote:
>
> > Yes, but you said this wasn't for beginners in your original post so
> > if a non-beginner can't get the Bootable Flag set up on the right
> > partition to boot, they are not a non-beginner...so this point
> > probably doesn't apply.
> >
> Okay. But why allowing something that has no interest to be done, to be
> done, be it by a beginner or not?

Good point. Maybe the code didn't fit into the Debian Installer to
determine which partitions to allow the user to make bootable? Your guess
is as good as mine.
From: Merciadri Luca on
Klistvud wrote:
> Dne, 29. 06. 2010 22:48:59 je Merciadri Luca napisal(a):
>> the distinction the Debian installer makes
>> between the `/' as it is normally in Linux filesystems, and the `/' in
>> the installation process, which is actually everything except what was
>> asked to be put on other partitions.
>>

> And what, pray, would that distinction be? IIRC "the '/' as it is
> normally in Linux filesystems" is exactly that: everything except what
> you put on dedicated partitions.
>
> But then again, I may have misunderstood your question in the first
> place ...

No, you've correctly understood it, and Joey's put me on the right lane.
:) Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Better late than never.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Joey Hess wrote:
> Merciadri Luca wrote:
>
>> First, I always found the `mount point' expression weird in this
>> context, because, for me, the mount point _is_ always the partition,
>> during the installation, but this is not the problem.
>>

> You have this common terminology exactly backwards. One mounts /dev/hda1
> on mount point / or /dev/sdb5 on mount point /home; one does not mount
> /home on /dev/sdb5. HTH :-) I fixed the next paragraph for you:
> | The biggest problem is that you are able to choose between, say, `/',
> | `/var/', '/usr/', `/home/', etc. But, without thinking a lot, `/'
> | *habitually* contains the rest. So, mounting say hda1 `/`, and
> | hdb1 on `/home/` could appear as weird for the user, at first glance (only).

That must be the origin of my problem. Thanks.
>> I'm here speaking about users who're not beginners,
>> but who want to understand the distinction the Debian installer makes
>> between the `/' as it is normally in Linux filesystems, and the `/' in
>> the installation process, which is actually everything except what was
>> asked to be put on other partitions.
>>

> The mental model that most non-beginners should have is that the system's
> root is / , which is where some system disk is mounted, and that additional
> disks are mounted to other mount points in the tree. The disk mounted at /
> is not a special case in not containing everything under / -- the disk
> mounted on /home does not necessarily contain everything under /home either.
> (I may have another (larger) disk mounted on /home/joey.)
>
> Everything said in the installation process should be consistent with that.
> Of course, the installer doesn't require users understand this stuff either.

/ +1, finally.
> But I think you're making it seem more complicated than it is.

Well, just as many things. That's my problem. :(

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.