From: Merciadri Luca on
Hi,

I wanted to reinstall Debian on an older PC where I had installed RH
some months ago. I had numerous problems because of RH (I don't like RH
at all, actually).

I often install Debian on different computers, but I noticed, this time
(I'm using a netinst, as always), that, as always, in the partitioning,
it asks for `what you want to mount where.' That is, you can choose, for
every partition, the `mount point.'

First, I always found the `mount point' expression weird in this
context, because, for me, the mount point _is_ always the partition,
during the installation, but this is not the problem.

The biggest problem is that you are able to choose between, say, `/',
`/var/', '/usr/', `/home/', etc. But, without thinking a lot, `/'
*habitually* contains the rest. So, mounting say `/' on hda1, and
`/home/' on hdb1 could appear as weird for the user, at first glance (only).

What do you think about this? (I'm known for my outlandish ideas, so,
don't be angry if I'm wrong.)

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

From: Jordan Metzmeier on

Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> On 06/29/2010 04:48 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > I'm not sure to understand fully your answer. I know that `guided
> > partitioning' is what's adviced for a new user, because it's easy to
> > configurate, but I'm here speaking about users who're not beginners,
> > but who want to understand the distinction the Debian installer makes
> > between the `/' as it is normally in Linux filesystems, and the `/' in
> > the installation process, which is actually everything except what was
> > asked to be put on other partitions.
>

> I don't understand where the difference is. The installer treats it the
> same as a Linux system would. / would contain all files and directories
> that are not located inside of another mounted partition. I don't see a
> distinction to make? When you are selecting mountpoints, you can just
> think of that as a TUI for fstab configuration.
>
> What would you suggest to present the user differently?
I don't think about necessarily changing the installation, but
indicating the convention would, at least to me, be interesting. It is
not direct to think this way. When I'm using a Linux system, I think as
you said, but, in an installation, the reasoning is different: what is
being selected for a partition is, normally, what will be installed on
the partition. Or if I select `/' to be installed, say at hda1, `/'
won't be totally installed at hda1, as / is normally containing
everything, and that I could have chosen to put e.g. /var/in hdb2.

Another problem is the fact that one can choose to install same things
at two partitions. For example, I could choose to install /var/ at hda1,
and at hdb1. Is it normal? What would be the effect?

A last problem (still for me) is that the `Bootable flag' thing is not
clear: you can choose to put the bootable flag on, say, /tmp/ (if you
choose to put /tmp/ on a seperate partition), where I don't think that
it could have any interest (except making things messy).

Don't hesitate to comment this.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

It is better to die on one's feet than live on one's knees.

From: Jordan Metzmeier on