From: ps56k on

"jeepers" <jeepers(a)creepers.com> wrote in message
> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act
> as a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different
> SSIDs?

give us the detailed scenario you are attempting to create,
and then we may be able to help.....

From: alexd on
On 08/06/10 03:03, jeepers wrote:
> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
> a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?

If you can drop the 'two channels' requirement it's easy enough. If it
has to be two channels then just using two APs would probably be cheaper.

--
<http://ale.cx/> (AIM:troffasky) (UnSoEsNpEaTm(a)ale.cx)
21:51:30 up 43 days, 23:43, 0 users, load average: 0.22, 0.24, 0.26
From: jeepers on
OK. Maybe 2 channels aren't needed but desired just the same to reduce
congestion on each frequency. Still.... how would a single router be
configured to handle 2 networks and 2 SSIDs on one channel?

From: Char Jackson on
On Thu, 10 Jun 2010 17:58:55 -0400, "jeepers" <jeepers(a)creepers.com>
wrote:

>OK. Maybe 2 channels aren't needed but desired just the same to reduce
>congestion on each frequency. Still.... how would a single router be
>configured to handle 2 networks and 2 SSIDs on one channel?

Check out dd-wrt (www.dd-wrt.com) for an example of 3rd party firmware
that provides that feature.

From: John Navas on
On Tue, 08 Jun 2010 08:33:03 +0100, in
<oaOdnZ83y4Stb5DRnZ2dnUVZ7v2dnZ2d(a)bt.com>, Bob <bob(a)invalid.invalid>
wrote:

>On 08/06/2010 03:03, jeepers wrote:
>> Is there a 3rd party software to configure a standard home router to act as
>> a Wireless Access Point for two different networks and two different SSIDs?
>>
>Since you didn't specify a router it is impossible to say whether 3rd
>party firmware will work or not on your unknown router.
>There was a tutorial on wi-fiplanet that used DD-WRT to create "multiple
>SSID networks"
><http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/10724_3714521_2> this
>was from 2007.
>There is also this from DD-WRT:-
><http://www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Multiple_WLANs>
>note from this that different broadcom based routers have different
>capabilities when trying to run multiple WANs.

I've been unable to get it set up to work with anything more secure than
WEP, which I personally consider useless.

--
Best regards, FAQ for Wireless Internet: <http://wireless.navas.us>
John FAQ for Wi-Fi: <http://wireless.navas.us/wiki/Wi-Fi>