From: Alexander Shenkin on
On 6/2/2010 8:48 AM, Bob wrote:
> On 02/06/2010 14:26, Alexander Shenkin wrote:

>>> The package is supposed to contain 32 and 64 bit drivers.
>>> <http://www.station-drivers.com/page/atheros.htm>
>>> Did you try just running the exe file rather than using "update
>>> drivers"?
>>
>> Just did, and same result unfortunately. Was this driver for a cardbus
>> card?
> I just looked for a card that had the AR5212 as part of it's
> architecture and that driver covers a wide variety of cards.
> <http://www.station-drivers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=9678#9678>
>
> What do proxim support say about writing a driver for it? not cost
> effective?

Thanks Bob. Proxim will write a Win 7 driver, they say, but won't give
a timeline.
From: Mike Easter on
Alexander Shenkin wrote:

> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far (it worked fine on
> my old XP machine). I've tried proxim's vista and whql drivers, neither
> of which seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how I might get this to
> work? thanks in advance.
>
> Win 7 Pro x64
> Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO

- why are you running the x64 Win7 instead of the x32? Usually you
don't gain anything with x64, and sometimes you cause unnecessary
compatibility problems
- that thinkpad T400 supports more/other than pcmcia, it also supports
express card, such as the Intels and others which will also do wireless
N. Your proxim is just G.

--
Mike Easter
From: Alexander Shenkin on
On 6/2/2010 9:50 AM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Alexander Shenkin wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
>> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far (it worked fine on
>> my old XP machine). I've tried proxim's vista and whql drivers, neither
>> of which seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how I might get this to
>> work? thanks in advance.
>>
>> Win 7 Pro x64
>> Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO
>
> - why are you running the x64 Win7 instead of the x32? Usually you
> don't gain anything with x64, and sometimes you cause unnecessary
> compatibility problems
> - that thinkpad T400 supports more/other than pcmcia, it also supports
> express card, such as the Intels and others which will also do wireless
> N. Your proxim is just G.

1) I'm not about to change my OS because a card won't work with it. But
regardless, I have a mountain of reasons for using an x64 system
including speeding up modeling tasks and increasing memory capacity.

2) the thinkpad supports lots of things. I've had this card for a
while, and want to keep using it as I did a fair amount of research
before buying it, and don't want to go through all that again if I can
avoid it.

From: Bob on
On 01/06/2010 03:29, Alexander Shenkin wrote:
> On 5/31/2010 5:41 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Alexander Shenkin wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
>>> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far
>>
>> If it is any consolation, that card is well supported by linux drivers
>> such as madwifi and others :-)
>>
>> http://www.dudek.org/wireless Wireless cards with good linux support
>>
>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-346597.html I hear and read
>> in numerous places that Orinoco cards are easily recognized by Linux. -
>> What chip set are the Orinoco cards using that makes them so easy to
>> use?<snip>
>>
>> (old page with some interesting orinoco chipset and history info)
>> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LucentWirelessCard (Dec 2002)
>> Proxim has bought the Orinoco product line and released a different card
>> under the "Orinoco Gold" label -
>
> According to Proxim, they'll eventually support windows 7 with the 8470.
>
> From Proxim Support:
>
> -----------------
>
> Thank you for contacting Proxim Technical Support.
>
> With regards to your query about the drivers to support Windows-7, I'm
> sorry for the fact that as of now we do not provide any drivers for
> windows 7.
>
> (Though I'm not sure of when this would happen however),to meet the
> business requirements proxim will come up with drivers to work on windows 7.
>
> Please use the following link to check for the available drivers for the
> Client card:
> Answer Title: ORiNOCO 847x-FC 847x-WD 802.11b/g PC Card download and
> documentation
> Answer Link:
> http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/proxim.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1228
>
> --------------------
While it may not get anyone to produce a driver have you filled in MS's
compatibility report on the card?
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=8470FC%20ORiNOCO%2011b%2fg%20Gold%20Wireless%20PC%20Card&v=Proxim%20Wireless%20Corporation&uid=8470FC&pf=17&pi=0&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=64-bit&feedbackPage=suggest>

If you require a list of known working cards.
<http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=64-bit&results=50&sort=Relevance>

From: Alexander Shenkin on
On 6/3/2010 2:25 AM, Bob wrote:
> On 01/06/2010 03:29, Alexander Shenkin wrote:

>>> If it is any consolation, that card is well supported by linux drivers
>>> such as madwifi and others :-)
>>>
>>> http://www.dudek.org/wireless Wireless cards with good linux support
>>>
>>> http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-346597.html I hear and read
>>> in numerous places that Orinoco cards are easily recognized by Linux. -
>>> What chip set are the Orinoco cards using that makes them so easy to
>>> use?<snip>
>>>
>>> (old page with some interesting orinoco chipset and history info)
>>> http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LucentWirelessCard (Dec 2002)
>>> Proxim has bought the Orinoco product line and released a different card
>>> under the "Orinoco Gold" label -
>>
>> According to Proxim, they'll eventually support windows 7 with the 8470.
>>
>> From Proxim Support:
>>
>> -----------------
>>
>> Thank you for contacting Proxim Technical Support.
>>
>> With regards to your query about the drivers to support Windows-7, I'm
>> sorry for the fact that as of now we do not provide any drivers for
>> windows 7.
>>
>> (Though I'm not sure of when this would happen however),to meet the
>> business requirements proxim will come up with drivers to work on
>> windows 7.
>>
>> Please use the following link to check for the available drivers for the
>> Client card:
>> Answer Title: ORiNOCO 847x-FC 847x-WD 802.11b/g PC Card download and
>> documentation
>> Answer Link:
>> http://support.proxim.com/cgi-bin/proxim.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1228

> While it may not get anyone to produce a driver have you filled in MS's
> compatibility report on the card?
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Details.aspx?type=Hardware&p=8470FC%20ORiNOCO%2011b%2fg%20Gold%20Wireless%20PC%20Card&v=Proxim%20Wireless%20Corporation&uid=8470FC&pf=17&pi=0&c=Networking&sc=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=64-bit&feedbackPage=suggest>
>

> If you require a list of known working cards.
> <http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-vista/Browse.aspx?type=Hardware&category=Networking&subcategory=Wireless%20Network%20Cards&os=64-bit&results=50&sort=Relevance>

thanks bob. submitted a report. i'll post back if i manage to get this
working somehow. thanks for your help.