From: Alexander Shenkin on
Hi Folks,

I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far (it worked fine on
my old XP machine). I've tried proxim's vista and whql drivers, neither
of which seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how I might get this to
work? thanks in advance.

Win 7 Pro x64
Thinkpad T400 2764-CTO
From: Mike Easter on
Alexander Shenkin wrote:

> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far (it worked fine on
> my old XP machine).

This page looks like proxim is saying they support W2k-XP with that card
http://snipr.com/wyhn7 8470-FC ORiNOCO 11b/g PC Card, Gold - FCC -
Windows 2000, XP

> I've tried proxim's vista and whql drivers, neither
> of which seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how I might get this to
> work?

This is the page where you connect with the proxim support for downloads
and knowledgebase which requires that you have a login account
http://www.proxim.com/support/contact.html

--
Mike Easter
From: Alexander Shenkin on
On 5/31/2010 12:30 PM, Mike Easter wrote:
> Alexander Shenkin wrote:
>
>> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
>> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far (it worked fine on
>> my old XP machine).
>
> This page looks like proxim is saying they support W2k-XP with that card
> http://snipr.com/wyhn7 8470-FC ORiNOCO 11b/g PC Card, Gold - FCC -
> Windows 2000, XP

Thanks Mike - they actually also support Vista, as they have a driver
specifically for it. While they don't support Windows 7, there are
plenty of other devices out there that don't officially support windows
7, but still work with it. So, I'm wondering if there's any way to get
the existing drivers to work with windows 7, or perhaps there are modded
drivers out there, or something along those lines. I dunno.

>> I've tried proxim's vista and whql drivers, neither
>> of which seem to work. Anyone have any ideas how I might get this to
>> work?
>
> This is the page where you connect with the proxim support for downloads
> and knowledgebase which requires that you have a login account
> http://www.proxim.com/support/contact.html

Yep, thanks, already have an account and tried the latest Vista and XP
(WHQL) drivers, to no avail.
From: Mike Easter on
Alexander Shenkin wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>> Alexander Shenkin wrote:
>>
>>> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
>>> working on my windows 7 machine,

>> This is the page where you connect with the proxim support for downloads
>> and knowledgebase

> Yep, thanks,

There is also no help at the MS Win7 hardware compatibility ctr

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/en-us/default.aspx See
what works! Easily browse or search the compatibility status of your
favorite applications and devices on the Windows 7 Compatibility Center.

--
Mike Easter
From: Mike Easter on
Alexander Shenkin wrote:

> I've been trying to get my Proxim Orinoco Gold 8470-FC pcmcia card
> working on my windows 7 machine, with no luck so far

If it is any consolation, that card is well supported by linux drivers
such as madwifi and others :-)

http://www.dudek.org/wireless Wireless cards with good linux support

http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-346597.html I hear and read
in numerous places that Orinoco cards are easily recognized by Linux. -
What chip set are the Orinoco cards using that makes them so easy to
use? <snip>

(old page with some interesting orinoco chipset and history info)
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/LucentWirelessCard (Dec 2002)
Proxim has bought the Orinoco product line and released a different card
under the "Orinoco Gold" label -

--
Mike Easter