From: colp on
On Nov 26, 10:38 pm, Bryan Olson <fakeaddr...(a)nowhere.org> wrote:
> colp wrote:
> >> Paradox solved here:
>
> >> <12q1j.19192$4V6.17...(a)newssvr14.news.prodigy.net>
>
> > That is a link to this thread. You haven't show a solution.
>
> It's the message ID of the post. You can also find it at:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/sci.physics.relativity/msg/1694288bbb6...

Your post is not relevant. The issue is not that the twins will be the
same age when they return to
Earth (that was made clear in the OP), but that the clock time of the
other twin as predicted by SR will not equal the proper time of the
twin from his frame of reference.

> >> Part of SR that colp ignores, making his theory contradictory:
>
> >> http://www.bartleby.com/173/9.html
>
> > Relativity of simultaneity is not relevant because the paradox can be
> > demonstrated from a single frame of reference (the outgoing leg) which
> > has spatial and tempoaral symmetry with the inbound leg.
>
> Let's try that. Let's choose the outgoing frame of twin A as
> our inertial frame of reference, and stick to it. Note that
> given the outgoing/inbound symmetry you specify, the outgoing
> frame of one is the in inbound frame of the other.
>
> Outbound, twin A is in the frame of reference, so clock A runs
> normally. Twin B's is time-dilated to run slow. After they turn
> around (meaning reverse direction for the trip back), twin B is
> in our inertial frame of reference, and twin A is moving
> according to our frame of reference, making clock A run slow.
> We're not talking about what twin A observes; we sticking to our
> one chosen frame of reference, just as you suggested above.

Nice try, but I was talking about the outgoing leg by itself.

Outbound, twin A is in the frame of reference, so clock A runs
normally. Twin B's is time-dilated to run slow, as you said. When the
twins reach the original turnaround point twin A will be older than
twin B from twin A's frame of reference. If the twins had been sending
clock ticks by radio to each other, then SR predicts that twin B will
have sent fewer ticks than twin A sent. Since the twins are
symmetrical cases of each other, the number of clock ticks sent must
equal the number of clock ticks received. Thus SR predicts a false
result.

> For each twin, one leg is in the frame of reference, the other
> is time dilated. They arrive back at Earth showing equal time
> having passed.

That was made clear in the original thought experiment.

> Try sticking to any other single inertial frame of reference,
> and you'll get the same answer.

False. You had to use 2 legs to get a sensible result. A single leg
demostrates the paradox.

> So where is the paradox that you
> just said this should demonstrate?

The paradox is that SR predicts time dilation of a twin B is observed
from the frame of reference of twin A when the twins are symmetric
instances of each other.

> >> As we still lack any citation attributing the wrong theory to
> >> anyone else, I stand by my description of it as Colp's own.
>
> > The essential element of the paradox is time dilation as observed by
> > one of the twins. This time dilation is standard SR
>
> >http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
>
> If we stick to one inertial frame of reference, then there's no
> paradox.

The paradox exists as shown in this post.

> If we take a twin's point of view and change frames, we
> account for our far-away twin's age being different in the new
> frame, and once again there's no paradox.

If the change of frame is excluded the paradox becomes clear.

> Only colp-theory says we can change inertial frames and somehow
> be immune to the relativity of simultaneity. Colp-theory makes
> no sense; it leads to contradictions.

It's not my theory, it is standard SR.

From: colp on
On Nov 27, 1:05 am, "harry" <harald.vanlintelButNotT...(a)epfl.ch>
wrote:
> One last attempt ...
>
> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message

> > On Nov 25, 5:54 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> > wrote:
> >> colp says...

> >> No, there is no paradox in the sense of contradiction.
>
> > The contradiction between SR prediction ant reality is described
> > below:
>
> > This thought experiment is like the classic twin paradox, but in this
> > experiment both twins leave earth and travel symmetric return trips in
> > opposite directions.
>
> > Since the paths taken by the twins in this experiment are symmetric,
> > they must be the same age when they meet on their return to earth.
> > In this experiment the twins maintain constant observation of each
> > other's clocks, from when they depart until they return and find that
> > their clocks tell the same time.
>
> Sure.
>
> > Special relativity says that each twin must observe that the other's
> > clock is running slow, and at no time does special relativity allow
> > for an observation which shows that the other clock is running fast.
>
> There is no need for that, and this has been explained to you from the very
> start.

What has been explained from the very start?
From: Daryl McCullough on
colp says...
>The issue is not that the twins will be the
>same age when they return to
>Earth (that was made clear in the OP), but that the clock time of the
>other twin as predicted by SR will not equal the proper time of the
>twin from his frame of reference.

SR does *not* say anything about how things look from
an accelerated "frame of reference". It talks about how
things are measured using an *inertial* frame of reference.

>Outbound, twin A is in the frame of reference, so clock A runs
>normally. Twin B's is time-dilated to run slow, as you said.

To be precise: Twin B's clock runs slow as measured in
A's outbound frame of reference.

>When the twins reach the original turnaround point twin A will
>be older than twin B from twin A's frame of reference.

A doesn't have *a* frame of reference. He has *two* frames
of reference: an outbound frame of reference, and an inbound
frame of reference. A is older than B according to one of
those frames, but B is older than A according to the other.

When A turns around, he changes from a frame of reference
in which A is older to a frame in which B is older.

>If the twins had been sending clock ticks by radio to each
>other, then SR predicts that twin B will have sent fewer ticks
>than twin A sent. Since the twins are symmetrical cases of each
>other, the number of clock ticks sent must equal the number of
>clock ticks received. Thus SR predicts a false result.

Why don't you actually try to *derive* what you are
saying from the postulates of SR? As several people
have pointed out, what you are calling SR is a theory
of your own invention.

What SR says is that, from the point of view of any
*inertial* coordinate system,

1. Light has speed c in all directions.
2. Moving clocks run slow, by a factor of square-root(1-(v/c)^2).
3. Moving rods are contracted in the direction of motion by
a factor of square-root(1-(v/c)^2).
4. Inertial coordinate systems are related by
the Lorentz transformations, rotations and translations.

It doesn't say anything (directly) about how one accelerated
twin appears to another accelerated twin. You have to *derive*
what each twin sees from the postulates of relativity.

Suppose that your twins are sending signals to each other
once per second. Then if the twins travel in opposite
directions at speed v for time T, turn around, and return
at speed v, the rate at which each twin receives signals
from the other is given by the following:

From the point of view of twin A, there are three periods
with three different rates

Period 1: The signals received by A from B come slower
than once per second. This period lasts for half the
trip.

Period 2: The signals received by A from B come at the
rate of one per second. This period lasts for less than
half the trip.

Period 3: The signals received by A from B come at
more than one per second. This period lasts for less
than half the trip.

Add up the signals received by A from B during the
three periods, and you get the same number as the
number of signals sent by A to B during those three
periods.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
colp says...

>SR describes time dilation. SR does not describe time compression.

That's incorrect. The Lorentz transform for time
has two factors:

t' = gamma (t - vx/c^2)

t' can be greater than t or less than t,
depending on the value of x.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Sue... on
On Nov 26, 1:47 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:

> What SR says is that, from the point of view of any
> *inertial* coordinate system,

No... the inertial modifier does not appear.
That issue is considered with relation to
mass energy equivalence
http://www.bartleby.com/173/15.html

> 1. Light has speed c in all directions.
> 2. Moving clocks run slow, by a factor of square-root(1-(v/c)^2).

SR says no such thing. It says moving clocks are *judged* to run
slow from a different frame.

"The Behaviour of Measuring-Rods and Clocks in Motion "
http://www.bartleby.com/173/12.html

You are making a fine argument that the principle of
relativity doesn't hold true regardless of the speed of light.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/pseudo.html

Sue...