From: Sue... on
On Nov 27, 11:51 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> Sue... says...
>

> >On Nov 26, 4:22 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> However,
> >> a precise enough clock (atomic clock, for instance)
> >> would notice a difference. If you left one atomic
> >> clock at Big Ben, and carried the other one with
> >> you to New York, then when you get back to Big Ben,
> >> there will be differences in the elapsed times on
> >> the two atomic clocks.
>
> >There were no clocks in motion. The proper time intervals
> >were taken from views of the clocks that never left
> >their stations in London and New York.
>
> You are making no sense whatsoever. Proper time is time
> along a spacetime path. It has nothing to do with "views
> of clocks".

<<A clock in a moving frame will be seen to be running
slow, or "dilated" according to the Lorentz transformation.
The time will always be shortest as measured in its
rest frame. The time measured in the frame in which the
clock is at rest is called the "proper time". >>
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/relativ/tdil.html

Does that mean that when I saw Big-Ben moving away from me
I could have calculted its proper time and my
egg would have been perfect, instead of overdone?

Sue...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Proper_time

From: colp on
On Nov 27, 9:55 pm, "harry" <harald.vanlintelButNotT...(a)epfl.ch>
wrote:
> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message

> > On Nov 27, 1:05 am, "harry" <harald.vanlintelButNotT...(a)epfl.ch>
> > wrote:
> >> One last attempt ...
>
> >> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message

> >> Sure.

> >> There is no need for that, and this has been explained to you from the
> >> very
> >> start.
>
> > What has been explained from the very start?
>
> That there is no need for an observation that "shows that the other clock is
> running fast".

The fact that SR pedicts that such an observation can be made is part
of the paradox. Ignoring the observation means ignoring the paradox.

> And you overlooked the illustration that I prepared specially
> for you:

I read it, but I could not see the point that you were trying to make.
From: colp on
On Nov 27, 11:49 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote innews:c3ae81ae-9ac0-4842-afb0-78ddd999b1bc(a)s6g2000prc.googlegroups.com:
<snip>
> >> He said [quote]
> >> Then gamma = 1/square-root(1-(4/5)^2) = 1/square-root(9/25) = 5/3.
> >> [unquote]
> >> So, he is using exactly the formula you asked about.
>
> > Yes, gamma is 5/3 for v = 4/5 c using my formula.
>
> >> now if you take velocity away from ... as positive and toward ... as
> >> negative, your other great mystery will be cleared up.
>
> > Oh really?
>
> Really.

If you think that the mystery is cleared up, then why is it necessary
to use t' = gamma (t - vx/c^2) to calculate time dilation?

According to Wikipedia:

delta t = gamma delta t0

Where delta t0 is the time interval between two colocal events (i.e.
happening at the same place) for an observer in some inertial frame
(e.g. ticks on his clock),
and delta t is the time interval between those same events, as
measured by another observer, inertially moving with velocity v with
respect to the former observer,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation
From: colp on
On Nov 28, 4:24 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> colp says...
>
> >Because an observer on the ground sees the satellites in motion
> >relative to them, Special Relativity predicts that we should see their
> >clocks ticking more slowly (see the Special Relativity lecture).
>
> You don't know what you are talking about. Relativity
> is not about what this or that observer *sees*.

I was quoting the the following page:
http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html

So what you are saying is that Ohio State university does not know
what it is talking about.
From: colp on
On Nov 28, 4:32 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> colp says...
>

> >On Nov 27, 9:51 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> SR doesn't say *anything* about the frame of reference of an
> >> accelerated twin. It only talks about how things work within
> >> a single inertial coordinate system. If the twins are accelerating,
> >> then they are not in an inertial coordinate system.
>
> >The original thought experiment that I described in the OP (that Dirk
> >quoted) does talk about inertial coordinate systems. What happened when
> >the twins are accelerating and decellerating doesn't affect the
> >paradox.
>
> Well, that's completely incorrect.

Why is that?

> You only think that because you haven't actually done a calculation.

Wrong. The calculation is not relevant to the argument.