From: colp on
On Nov 28, 8:40 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> In article <6ed33a22-9b96-4304-967b-7e1b359c0...(a)d27g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
> colp says...
>

> >On Nov 28, 4:24 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> colp says...

> >> You don't know what you are talking about. Relativity
> >> is not about what this or that observer *sees*.
>
> >I was quoting the the following page:
> >http://www.astronomy.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit5/gps.html
>
> >So what you are saying is that Ohio State university does not know
> >what it is talking about.
>
> Do you know the difference between a mathematical *derivation*
> and a pop science description?

A mathemaitcal derivation is an abstract symbolic represenatation of
the relationships which are the essence of the idea, while a pop
science desciption is an interpretation of the idea in common
language.

"Special relativity predicts that we should see their clocks ticking
more slowly" is a correct description of GPS sattelites, if we
separate GR & SR effects.

> That page is *not* a rigorous
> derivation, it's a layman's introduction to the subject. You
> can't deduce anything about the consistency of relativity from
> a popular science article.

Yes you can, so long as the article accurately represents the original
ideas.

> It's as if you tried to solve some mystery about the life of
> Julius Caesar by studying a picture book about him written
> for eight-year olds.

Straw man.
From: colp on
> And while he uses as reference the wiki page on time dilation (http://
> en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time_dilation), the following page in the same
> wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin_paradox) explains in detail
> the twin paradox

You are supporting my original argument by quoting that page. The
specific example on that page uses the same formula and methodology as
I used when I showed Dirk's error in the OP.

The specific example only uses the Lorentz factor for calculating time
dilation of the travelling twin. It makes no distinction between the
outbound and return legs, as oppoed to Dirk who treats the two legs
differently.
From: bz on
colp <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in

> On Nov 27, 11:49 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
>> colp <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote
>> innews:c3ae81ae-9ac0-4842-afb0-78ddd999b1bc(a)s6g2000prc.googlegroups.com:
> <snip>
>>
>> > Yes, gamma is 5/3 for v = 4/5 c using my formula.

>> > Oh really?
>>
>> Really.
>
> If you think that the mystery is cleared up, then why is it necessary
> to use t' = gamma (t - vx/c^2) to calculate time dilation?
>
> According to Wikipedia:
>
> delta t = gamma delta t0
>
> Where delta t0 is the time interval between two colocal events (i.e.
> happening at the same place) for an observer in some inertial frame
> (e.g. ticks on his clock),
> and delta t is the time interval between those same events, as
> measured by another observer, inertially moving with velocity v with
> respect to the former observer,

They expect you to understand that the Delta T (CHANGE in T) must be added
sometimes and subtracted sometimes, depending on whether you are closing
with the source or going away from it.

Notice that they say [quote]
Delta_t_0 is the time interval between two colocal events (i.e.
happening at the same place) for an observer in some inertial frame
(e.g. ticks on his clock), Delta t, is the time interval between those
same events, as measured by another observer, inertially moving with
velocity v with respect to the former observer, v, is the relative
velocity between the observer and the moving clock
[unquote]
velocity. Not speed. Speed has no direction. velocity does.

--
bz

infinite set.

bz+nanae(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu
From: Sue... on
On Nov 27, 1:35 pm, bz <bz+...(a)ch100-5.chem.lsu.edu> wrote:
> "Sue..." <suzysewns...(a)yahoo.com.au> wrote innews:e35a303c-4fce-4358-a6c7-3aac59e49677(a)b40g2000prf.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Does that mean that when I saw Big-Ben moving away from me
> > I could have calculted its proper time and my
> > egg would have been perfect, instead of overdone?
>
> If you have left someone in London and you tell them, from your ship that
> is moving near c, when you want them to start boiling and stop boiling the
> eggs, you better apply the right corrections, or the eggs won't be done
> when you get home. I didn't know you went for balut.

Actually it is London that is moving. My ship is stationary. But
that may offer opportunty to better explain why I use two
*types* of clocks.

With colp's scenario my atomic clocks only slow as a result of
earth's gravity. The Fizeau moving media light clocks only
slow as a result of free-space dielectric moving between
the mirrors.

If your formula doesn't agree with one clock, then pick
another. There are four to choose from. (Two clocks
on the massive planet at mid point are not included
but could be)

It is not likely to be popular with the sci-fi fans
because the presence of two clock types makes it
difficult to argue that a cooking egg or a dividing
cell could know which type to look at. The PoR
says they will look at the atomic clocks because
rain does not take longer to reach the ground
simply because it is viewed as a longer diagonal path
from a moving car.

Sue...

In the subatomic realm, all bets are off because
377 ohm media only exist when something radiates.
(or is it the other way 'round? I think Feynman
says it is both ways.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Path_integral_formulation

From: harry on

"colp" <colp(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message
> On Nov 27, 9:55 pm, "harry" <harald.vanlintelButNotT...(a)epfl.ch>
> wrote:
>> "colp" <c...(a)solder.ath.cx> wrote in message

>> > What has been explained from the very start?
>>
>> That there is no need for an observation that "shows that the other clock
>> is
>> running fast".
>
> The fact that SR pedicts that such an observation can be made is part
> of the paradox. Ignoring the observation means ignoring the paradox.

No, SRT doesn't really predict such an observation, see below.

>> And you overlooked the illustration that I prepared specially
>> for you:
>
> I read it, but I could not see the point that you were trying to make.

It's a similar paradox, about a "lacking" observation that is based on a
misunderstanding. Understand that one and you will understand your own
paradox.

Harald