From: colp on
On Nov 29, 10:46 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> colp says...
>

> >On Nov 29, 3:56 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> colp says...

> >> Well, you are basing your arguments about Special Relativity
> >> on pop science, not the actual mathematics of relativity.
>
> >Wrong. delta t = gamma delta t0 is relativistic mathematics.
>
> No, it's not.

It clearly is.

> That formula only works for a very specific case,

It applies when delta t and delta t0 are from intertial frames of
reference, as you have said.

> and you are applying in a *different* circumstance.

No I'm not.
From: colp on
wrote:
> colp says...
>

> >On Nov 29, 4:02 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
> >wrote:
> >> colp says...

> >> No, it's not.
>
> >It is a straw man because the theory of relativity is not a mystery
>
> It's a mystery to you, apparently.

A paradoxical theory is not a mystery. It is simply a theory in which
one or more of the assumptions (or postulates) are false.
From: Daryl McCullough on
colp says...

>On Nov 29, 10:46 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:

>> >Wrong. delta t = gamma delta t0 is relativistic mathematics.
>>
>> No, it's not.
>
>It clearly is.
>
>> That formula only works for a very specific case,
>
>It applies when delta t and delta t0 are from intertial frames of
>reference, as you have said.
>
>> and you are applying in a *different* circumstance.
>
>No I'm not.

If you want to show that that formula is applicable,
then *derive* it from the postulates of Special Relativity.
If you actually did that, you would *see* why what you
are doing is nonsense.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: Daryl McCullough on
colp says...

>On Nov 29, 10:44 am, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
>wrote:

>> No, they aren't. The Wiki example, as you noticed, is about
>> a case in which one of the twins remains *inertial*. In that
>> case, you can talk about time dilation for that twin's inertial
>> coordinate system. If *both* twins are accelerating, then you
>> *can't* use the simple time dilation formula.
>
>The paradox does not rely on observations that are made from
>accelerating frames.

If you calculate elapsed times using only *inertial* coordinates,
then you don't get any contradictions. So you are completely
wrong.

>The essential part of the paradox is that when the two twins are
>travelling away from each other in inertial frames they expect to
>receive fewer clock ticks than they send.

I don't care what they expect. The question is: what does
Special Relativity predict? It predicts that in the
symmetric case, the number of signals each twin receives
from the other is the same.

--
Daryl McCullough
Ithaca, NY

From: colp on
On Nov 29, 1:32 pm, stevendaryl3...(a)yahoo.com (Daryl McCullough)
wrote:
> colp says...

> >> No, it's not.
>
> >It clearly is.
>
> >> That formula only works for a very specific case,
>
> >It applies when delta t and delta t0 are from intertial frames of
> >reference, as you have said.
>
> >> and you are applying in a *different* circumstance.
>
> >No I'm not.
>
> If you want to show that that formula is applicable,
> then *derive* it from the postulates of Special Relativity.

You are making the claim. The burden of proof is yours, not mine.