From: ABS Doug on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Exactly.  I'm hoping his dvd download via Iceweasel fails, since that would
> point directly to a driver issue.  If it succeeds, that means the problemo
> is with the torrent software.

Iceweasel, jigdo both worked. Also I've tried I think 5 different
torrent software.

On 06/21/2010 03:00 AM, Stan Hoeppner wrote:
> Huang, Tao put forth on 6/21/2010 2:36 AM:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 12:43 PM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>> [snip]
>>>>

>>> From what I can remember of his claims, it (downloading a torrent) over the
>>> wireless connection works fine with XP and with UNR. It's just some form of
>>> straight Debian where torrent downloads fail.
>>
>> i'm aware of that.
>> by misconfigured and flaky i mean possible flaws within his debian
>> setup and wireless driver.
>
> He stated his torrent failures occur on both one rev of Ubuntu and one rev of
> Debian--two Linux platforms. My somewhat educated guess is that both revs use
> the same version of the wireless driver and likely other network kernel code
> that is different from the rev of Ubuntu which he has no torrent problems
> with. They may even use the exact same kernel rev. I've not researched this
> however.

Lets not forget that my *wired* system crapped out at 86% while
downloading the torrent he supplied. Bouncing my WRT56GL solved the
problem.

However, two other torrents I've downloaded (both "legally" on
torrent) downloaded just fine.

--
Seek truth from facts.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Lets not forget that my *wired* system crapped out at 86% while downloading
> the torrent he supplied.  Bouncing my WRT56GL solved the problem.
>
> However, two other torrents I've downloaded (both "legally" on torrent)
> downloaded just fine.

I've had problems with torrents not finishing, but *never* knocking
out my connection! Boy this is REALLY weird. Your wired connection on
the same torrent... wow, I'm just totally confused. So what
technically happening when a torrent takes down your wired
connection??

2010/6/21 ABS Doug <absdoug(a)gmail.com>:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>
>> Lets not forget that my *wired* system crapped out at 86% while downloading
>> the torrent he supplied.  Bouncing my WRT56GL solved the problem.
>>
>> However, two other torrents I've downloaded (both "legally" on torrent)
>> downloaded just fine.
>
>   I've had problems with torrents not finishing, but *never* knocking
> out my connection! Boy this is REALLY weird. Your wired connection on
> the same torrent... wow, I'm just totally confused. So what
> technically happening when a torrent takes down your wired
> connection??

Well, it knocks out your router by eating it's memory and cpu time too much..

This is typical problem on low end routers, buy better one..

--
Eero

On 06/21/2010 07:22 AM, Eero Volotinen wrote:
> 2010/6/21 ABS Doug<absdoug(a)gmail.com>:
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 5:28 AM, Ron Johnson<ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Lets not forget that my *wired* system crapped out at 86% while downloading
>>> the torrent he supplied. Bouncing my WRT56GL solved the problem.
>>>
>>> However, two other torrents I've downloaded (both "legally" on torrent)
>>> downloaded just fine.
>>
>> I've had problems with torrents not finishing, but *never* knocking
>> out my connection! Boy this is REALLY weird. Your wired connection on
>> the same torrent... wow, I'm just totally confused. So what
>> technically happening when a torrent takes down your wired
>> connection??
>
> Well, it knocks out your router by eating it's memory and cpu time too much.
>
> This is typical problem on low end routers, buy better one..

The why does it succeed when XP is the client, and for me when the
torrent is "non-pirate"?

--
Seek truth from facts.