From: Mark on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:24 AM, ABS Doug <absdoug(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Exactly. I'm hoping his dvd download via Iceweasel fails, since that
> would
> > point directly to a driver issue. If it succeeds, that means the
> problemo
> > is with the torrent software.
>
> Iceweasel, jigdo both worked. Also I've tried I think 5 different
> torrent software.

Thanks for testing it, so at this point you know it has to be something
specific to torrents - you can rule out any advice people are giving about
buying a better router, blah blah blah, since it works in XP and Ubuntu
9.04.

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:

> Then why does it succeed when XP is the client, and for me when the
torrent is "non-pirate"?

Yeah this is just a weird scenario now that he's said he can download via
Iceweasel and jigdo in the same Debian installation. So it's not a driver
issue apparently.
From: Klistvud on
Dne, 21. 06. 2010 15:44:47 je Ron Johnson napisal(a):

> The why does it succeed when XP is the client, and for me when the
> torrent is "non-pirate"?

Well, for one, XP is a castrated OS (the notorious limit on concurrent
'half-open' connections being just one of its many self-imposed
limitations); if you could castrate your Debian in a similar way, it
would probably become just as router-friendly, the question is, who'd
really *want* a Debian that was *that* powerless. As for why it
succeeds with "non-pirate" torrents, two possibilities come to mind:
firstly, these torrents may be more correct/compliant, and the trackers
may be more stable than the "pirate" ones; secondly, it could be
related to the number of active p2p connections that get established
for a particular torrent (you'll hardly overload a router with only a
couple of active peers).

Just my 2ยข
--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 1:24 AM, ABS Doug <absdoug(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Mark <mamarcac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Exactly. I'm hoping his dvd download via Iceweasel fails, since
>> that
>> would
>> > point directly to a driver issue. If it succeeds, that means
>> the
>> problemo
>> > is with the torrent software.
>>
>> Iceweasel, jigdo both worked. Also I've tried I think 5 different
>> torrent software.
>>

> Thanks for testing it, so at this point you know it has to be
> something
> specific to torrents - you can rule out any advice people are giving
> about
> buying a better router, blah blah blah, since it works in XP and
> Ubuntu
> 9.04.
>

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net>
> wrote:
>

>> Then why does it succeed when XP is the client, and for me when
>> the
> torrent is "non-pirate"?
>

> Yeah this is just a weird scenario now that he's said he can
> download via
> Iceweasel and jigdo in the same Debian installation. So it's not a
> driver
> issue apparently.

..

I would still like to know the answer to one simple question.

Does restarting the modem/router bring the network back up?

If the answer is yes, then the problem is on the modem/router.

Tim

On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Tim Clewlow <tim(a)clewlow.org> wrote:

> I would still like to know the answer to one simple question.
>
> Does restarting the modem/router bring the network back up?
>
> If the answer is yes, then the problem is on the modem/router.

How can this be true when the same machine, same hardware, different OS's
downloads the torrent fine? The modem/router/ISP is common to all
situations here. If the modem/router needs to be brought back up wouldn't
it be because something in Debian or the non-working Ubuntu isn't handling
the torrents properly?
From: Tim Clewlow on

> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Tim Clewlow <tim(a)clewlow.org>
> wrote:
>

>> I would still like to know the answer to one simple question.
>>
>> Does restarting the modem/router bring the network back up?
>>
>> If the answer is yes, then the problem is on the modem/router.
>>

> How can this be true when the same machine, same hardware, different
> OS's
> downloads the torrent fine? The modem/router/ISP is common to all
> situations here. If the modem/router needs to be brought back up
> wouldn't
> it be because something in Debian or the non-working Ubuntu isn't
> handling
> the torrents properly?

If the modem restart fixes things, then it must be a problem on the
modem because nothing else has changed. In other words, the
computers are all working fine, just waiting for the modem to start
behaving normally again.

As to why this happens at all. Not all operating systems are equal.
Some systems can send bucket loads of new connections down the line
very quickly, some (read windoze) have slow IO subsystems and so do
not send multiple connection requests anywhere near as rapidly. I
have seen modems (and had to throw them out) that worked fine on
torrents from windows clients, but crashed very quickly when I ran
nix/bsd torrent based clients.

Tim.