From: Eduardo M KALINOWSKI on
On 06/21/2010 03:37 PM, Tim Clewlow wrote:
> As to why this happens at all. Not all operating systems are equal.
> Some systems can send bucket loads of new connections down the line
> very quickly, some (read windoze) have slow IO subsystems and so do
> not send multiple connection requests anywhere near as rapidly. I
> have seen modems (and had to throw them out) that worked fine on
> torrents from windows clients, but crashed very quickly when I ran
> nix/bsd torrent based clients.

For that matter, even different programs (or different versions of a
same program) might behave differently in regard to how many connections
are opened, in how much time, and so on.

--
True, it returns "" for false, but "" is an even more interesting
number than 0.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On Sun, Jun 20, 2010 at 11:43:21PM -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

............snip.............

> From what I can remember of his claims, it (downloading a torrent) over
> the wireless connection works fine with XP and with UNR. It's just some
> form of straight Debian where torrent downloads fail.

I'm not so sure. He posted this same problem on the Ubuntu-users list. I
think that was before he switched to Debian.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279
From: Mark on
On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Tim Clewlow <tim(a)clewlow.org> wrote:

> As to why this happens at all. Not all operating systems are equal.
> Some systems can send bucket loads of new connections down the line
> very quickly, some (read windoze) have slow IO subsystems and so do
> not send multiple connection requests anywhere near as rapidly. I
> have seen modems (and had to throw them out) that worked fine on
> torrents from windows clients, but crashed very quickly when I ran
> nix/bsd torrent based clients.

This makes sense, I guess it's just my opinion but if I knew Ubuntu 9.04
_and_ Windows both downloaded the torrent fine, I would just use one of
those instead of replacing the modem (if that turns out to be the case).
Who's to say the modem he replaces it with would work? See what I mean,
there's already a solution available (2 actually, 9.04 and Windows) so it
seems like he's in the space of diminishing returns now.
From: Lisi on
On Monday 21 June 2010 23:38:21 Mark wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Tim Clewlow <tim(a)clewlow.org> wrote:
> > As to why this happens at all. Not all operating systems are equal.
> > Some systems can send bucket loads of new connections down the line
> > very quickly, some (read windoze) have slow IO subsystems and so do
> > not send multiple connection requests anywhere near as rapidly. I
> > have seen modems (and had to throw them out) that worked fine on
> > torrents from windows clients, but crashed very quickly when I ran
> > nix/bsd torrent based clients.
>
> This makes sense, I guess it's just my opinion but if I knew Ubuntu 9.04
> _and_ Windows both downloaded the torrent fine, I would just use one of
> those

+1

Lisi

Mark put forth on 6/21/2010 1:20 PM:
> On Mon, Jun 21, 2010 at 11:12 AM, Tim Clewlow <tim(a)clewlow.org> wrote:
>

>> I would still like to know the answer to one simple question.
>>
>> Does restarting the modem/router bring the network back up?
>>
>> If the answer is yes, then the problem is on the modem/router.
>>

> How can this be true when the same machine, same hardware, different OS's
> downloads the torrent fine? The modem/router/ISP is common to all
> situations here. If the modem/router needs to be brought back up wouldn't
> it be because something in Debian or the non-working Ubuntu isn't handling
> the torrents properly?

I have a perl application that I use to pull rDNS names for all IPs in any
network up to a size /16 totally in parallel. For a /16 query, the
application will send 65,536 _simultaneous_ UDP packets to remote DNS servers.
This absolutely melts every consumer router on the market. Some just stop
functioning and require a reboot. Some have hard coded UDP flood protection
on both the public and private interfaces and simply drop excessive packets,
allowing "normal" UDP traffic to flow after a timeout period, usually a few
seconds to a minute or more.

I have a 2nd version of this perl application that sends the queries in
batches instead of all at once. The batch size is configurable, allowing one
to "tickle the dragon" to find the settings that work fine just below the
melting point.

These applications behave slightly differently on different flavors of *nix
and with different versions of perl and different versions of the required
perl modules.

Thus, with the same router, I could take a few different *nix OS flavors and
perl versions, blowing up the router with some, and not denting it with others.

It's all about the packet load you push through the router. It's absolutely
normal for setups that "seem" the same to nuke the router, because once you
peek under the hood, they aren't really behaving the same at all.

Take a peek under the hood. :)

--
Stan