From: Tom H on
>> The default
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>> has a
>> subsystem sftp ...
>> towards the end of the file, so you should be able to run
>> sftp user(a)host
>> and use the above ftp commands.

> Yes, but then I cannot get a regular shell for vim and such. I need to
> both run commands and also transfer files.

LOL

I no longer have your original email but you seemed to be asking about
ftp-like features.

Why don't you have two sessions open, one for transferring through
sftp and one vi and whatever else through ssh?

On 2010-03-21 18:02, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 22 March 2010 00:57, Selçuk Mıynat <selcukmiynat(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 00:52, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I am managing a small embedded device that I SSH into over the LAN. To
>>> run commands, I use KDE Konsole, and to transfer files I use Konqueror
>>> and SFTP. I understand that SFTP also runs over SSH, so is there a way
>>> to send files in Konsole as well? I am familiar with the FTP commands
>>> such as cd, lcd, put, and get. Are there equivalent commands for SSH
>>> terminal connections?
>> Are you looking for scp?
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Secure_copy
>> http://www.helpdesk.umd.edu/documents/4/4801/
>>

> No, scp is for sending files to a remote machine that the user has yet
> to connect to:

Eh? I think you're imposing unneeded self limits.

> localhost$ scp /path/to/file.txt user(a)remoteMachine /remote/path/
>
> However, I want something like this:
> localhost$ ls
> file.txt
> localhost$ ssh user(a)remoteMachine
> remoteMachine$ ls
> remoteMachine$ put file.txt
> remoteMachine$ ls
> file.txt
> remoteMachine$
>
> Of course, that "put" command does not exist in SSH (it does exist in
> FTP). What _does_ work like that in SSH?

sftp.

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On 2010-03-21 18:05, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> The default
>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>> has a
>> subsystem sftp ...
>> towards the end of the file, so you should be able to run
>> sftp user(a)host
>> and use the above ftp commands.
>>

> Yes, but then I cannot get a regular shell for vim and such. I need to
> both run commands and also transfer files.

That's what scp is for!!!!!

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

well you can ssh to the remote machine first, then scp back to the
localhost from the remote machine, does the trick?

Best,
Ustun

On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 4:14 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson(a)cox.net> wrote:
> On 2010-03-21 18:05, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>>>
>>> The default
>>> /etc/ssh/sshd_config
>>> has a
>>> subsystem sftp ...
>>> towards the end of the file, so you should be able to run
>>> sftp user(a)host
>>> and use the above ftp commands.
>>>

>> Yes, but then I cannot get a regular shell for vim and such. I need to
>> both run commands and also transfer files.
>>

> That's what scp is for!!!!!
>
> --
> "History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
> or the timid."  Dwight Eisenhower

>> Yes, but then I cannot get a regular shell for vim and such. I need to
>> both run commands and also transfer files.
>>

> Well, you can't. But sshfs might help, you mount a remote filesystem
> (accessed via ssh) and use files as in any other filesystem.

I had considered fuse, but there is no real advantage. I still need
two terminal windows open: one for transferring files (sftp) and the
second for running commands (ssh).

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Not able to change password with passwd
Next: which kernel