From: Dotan Cohen on
> Always starting from machine_a, where machine_b is the "original" remote
> host.
>
> METHOD A.
> 1. ssh user(a)machine_b
> 2. scp -v user(a)machine_a:/some/tar/ball .
> 3. untar ...
> 4. chmod u+x
> 5. ./whatever
> 6. scp -v output.txt user(a)machine_a:/home/user/.
> 7. exit
>

> METHOD B.
> 1. scp -v /some/tar/ball user(a)machine_b:/home/user/.
> 2. ssh user(a)machine_b
> 3. untar ...
> 4. chmod u+x
> 5. ./whatever
> 6. exit
> 7. scp -v user(a)machine_b:/home/user/output.txt .

Yes, Method A is closest to what I was hoping to achieve, but Method B
was closest to what I was doing. Method A is cumbersome because it
lacks lcd and forces the user to remember (and type) the username,
password, IP address, and full path to the file. I was hoping for an
elegant solution that did not need all that (sftp does not).

And maybe having a "lls" (local ls) would have been nice too,
something I've always missed from sftp.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

Please CC me if you want to be sure that I read your message. I do not
read all list mail.

http://i-want-a-pony.com/IWantAPony.jpg

--
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo(a)kalinowski.com.br

On 2010-03-21 19:10, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> And maybe having a "lls" (local ls) would have been nice too,
>> something I've always missed from sftp.
>>

> That could be worded better. I meant that "lls" does not exist in
> sftp, but it is something that I've always wanted.

"man ssh" and "man scp" really are your friends!

From machine_a:
$ ssh user(a)machine_b ls -aFl /some/remote/dir

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Mon Mar 22, 2010 at 01:27:22 +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:

> I had considered fuse, but there is no real advantage. I still need
> two terminal windows open: one for transferring files (sftp) and the
> second for running commands (ssh).

gnu screen. One terminal. Multiple programs.

Steve
--
http://www.steve.org.uk/

Dotan Cohen put forth on 3/21/2010 6:47 PM:

http://www.mosix.org/

--
Stan

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Prev: Not able to change password with passwd
Next: which kernel