From: Dotan Cohen on
> Sigh.  What exactly are you trying to *accomplish*????

Just an example:
I want to move a tarball to the machine, unpack it there then edit a
file it in. I then want to make that file executable, run it, and
transfer the output file back to my localhost.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

still scp:

ustun(a)local>ls
file.tgz
ustun(a)local>ssh ustun(a)remote
ustun(a)remote>scp ustun(a)local:file.tgz .
ustun(a)remote>ls
file.tgz
ustun(a)remote>tar xzvf file.tgz
ustun(a)remote>"do whatever you want"
ustun(a)remote> scp file.tgz ustun(a)local:

Best,
Ustun

On 22 March 2010 01:58, Ustun Kaya <uskaya(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> still scp:
>
> ustun(a)local>ls
> file.tgz
> ustun(a)local>ssh ustun(a)remote
> ustun(a)remote>scp ustun(a)local:file.tgz .

While this is more cumbersome than "put" I will contend that it works.
Frankly I am surprised that this is the lease cumbersome way, I was
expecting a much more elegant solution.

> ustun(a)remote>ls
> file.tgz
> ustun(a)remote>tar xzvf file.tgz
> ustun(a)remote>"do whatever you want"
> ustun(a)remote> scp file.tgz ustun(a)local:
>
> Best,
> Ustun

Thanks to all who contributed. I did learn a bit from this thread.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

On 2010-03-21 18:47, Dotan Cohen wrote:
>> Sigh. What exactly are you trying to *accomplish*????
>>

> Just an example:
> I want to move a tarball to the machine, unpack it there then edit a
> file it in. I then want to make that file executable, run it, and
> transfer the output file back to my localhost.

Always starting from machine_a, where machine_b is the "original"
remote host.

METHOD A.
1. ssh user(a)machine_b
2. scp -v user(a)machine_a:/some/tar/ball .
3. untar ...
4. chmod u+x
5. ./whatever
6. scp -v output.txt user(a)machine_a:/home/user/.
7. exit

METHOD B.
1. scp -v /some/tar/ball user(a)machine_b:/home/user/.
2. ssh user(a)machine_b
3. untar ...
4. chmod u+x
5. ./whatever
6. exit
7. scp -v user(a)machine_b:/home/user/output.txt .

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

On Mon, Mar 22, 2010 at 01:25:33AM +0200, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> > Eh?  I think you're imposing unneeded self limits.
> >

> How so? With scp I can send file to the machine that I'm remotely connected to?

Like this:

# On local-machine
ssh <remote-machine>
# type type type in remote-machine shell…
scp local-machine:/home/kumar/Files/myfile.txt .
# type type type… (still on remote-machine)

HTH.

Kumar
--
"How do you pronounce SunOS?" "Just like you hear it, with a big SOS"
-- dedicated to Roland Kaltefleiter