From: Mark on
On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 7:26 PM, Dotan Cohen <dotancohen(a)gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]

> Stability issues and updates are the reasons that I switched _to_
> Ubuntu! Before that it was the early Fedoras. I still think that my
> favourite two Linux OSes were Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Feisty.
>
> Maybe I will give Squeeze a round before my next install. I've last
> tested only Lenny.

While I've enjoyed all the "fish" exchanges from this thread, how on earth
have you found Ubuntu more stable than Lenny? You cite "stability issues"
and "updates" as reasons for using Ubuntu and then state you last tested
Lenny, leading one to believe an Ubuntu->Lenny comparison is being made
here.

Maybe I'm totally off my gourd but that doesn't make sense at all.

Mark
From: Nuno Magalhães on
On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 16:41, Wayne <linuxtwo(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> I guess it may be a sign of the times.  The world has changed over the past
> 16+ years since I first joined this list.  Sadly, for this list, not for the
> better.  Maybe if we stressed your points 2,3,4, it might change for the
> better.  One can only hope.

+1

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

On Fri, Apr 9, 2010 at 22:42, Stan Hoeppner <stan(a)hardwarefreak.com> wrote:

> This is exactly the reason I chose Debian 10 years ago when I was looking
> for my first Linux distro.  I told a friend I wanted a server distro that
> wasn't going to spoon feed me, but make me learn something about Linux.

Slackware is usually recommended for this. Or you you wanna learn the
very basics, LFS and derivates.

--
() ascii-rubanda kampajno - kontraŭ html-a retpoŝto
/\ ascii ribbon campaign - against html e-mail

> Well, squeeze my be well into the last half of its cycle. They are working
> toward a pre-release freeze now.

I was thinking of squeeze as (if I'm not mistaken, correct me if I am)
Lenny is still on KDE 4.2.x and Open Office 2.x. KDE 4.4 is such an
improvement over 4.2, and OOo 3.2 is worlds ahead of 2.4.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> Actually lenny is still on KDE 3.5, but you can get OOo 3.2 from
> backports.

Thanks, I was going from the info on distrowatch. I will look into backports.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com