From: Dotan Cohen on
>> Stability issues and updates are the reasons that I switched _to_
>> Ubuntu! Before that it was the early Fedoras. I still think that my
>> favourite two Linux OSes were Fedora Core 3 and Ubuntu Feisty.
>>
>> Maybe I will give Squeeze a round before my next install. I've last
>> tested only Lenny.
>
> While I've enjoyed all the "fish" exchanges from this thread, how on earth
> have you found Ubuntu more stable than Lenny?  You cite "stability issues"
> and "updates" as reasons for using Ubuntu and then state you last tested
> Lenny, leading one to believe an Ubuntu->Lenny comparison is being made
> here.
>
> Maybe I'm totally off my gourd but that doesn't make sense at all.

No, for stability I pitted Ubuntu vs. Fedora. Yeah, no match here.

I pit Ubuntu vs. Lenny for features and time-to-working-system. Ubuntu
(generally) needs less manual configuration and has more up-to-date
software.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

>> But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
>> their OS, correct?
>
> Recently I was trying to show my 15 year old granddaughter, who runs Open SuSU
> 11 on her laptop, how to do some small admin job.  She said that she didn't
> want to know.  When I queried this, she said:
>
> "When I am at school, the IT department does it for me.  When I am at home
> here, you do it for me.  When I am in Japan, Daddy does it for me.  Why do I
> need to know how to do it?"

That is the kind of user who can learn! If the small admin job had
been "diagnose kernel crashes" and her answer would have been "I am a
brain surgeon, not a computer scientist. I fix the brain, you fix the
computer. Today is the one day off that I have to spend with my family
and I don't want to spend it with the computer instead." then her
reluctance would have been valid.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

>> But you do understand that desktop users _don't_ want to learn about
>> their OS, correct? They want the computer to be as transparent as
>> possible in their workflow.
>>

> If they don't wont to learn they don't have. That's way there is PC service.
> Tell me how much of them know solution for some bigger Ms Windows problem?
> Are they bitching around how Ms Windows is hard to use? No they call PC
> service to fix their problem and that is perfectly normal, but when it is
> the same situation with Linux then Linux is OS for sys admins, hackers, etc.

No, these are normal everyday people who don't know what Windows or
what Linux is. They have a problem, they call me. No bitching, no
blaming.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

> Are you saying that only those who want to learn to administer it should be
> allowed to use Linux?

No, no, not at all. It may have been like that once, but today anyone
can pick it up and use it. Maintain and fix it, no, but use it until
problems arise, most certainly. And for some distros, there are much
fewer problems per usage hour than even the Big W.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com
http://what-is-what.com

>> No, these are normal everyday people who don't know what Windows or
>> what Linux is. They have a problem, they call me. No bitching, no
>> blaming.
>>

> In that case there is no really meter what they have. Only you will do him a
> big favor if you put Debian because in that case they will be much  safer
> from virus's and it's much easier to open synaptic, hit refresh button,
> upgrade and apply then manually download all app. and next, next, next,
> reboot.
> From my experience it is really much easier to have Debian then Windows.
> They will call you less :-)

That is exactly what I do! However, I use a Debian derivative as it
has slightly better hardware support out of the box and more
up-to-date packages than straight Debian. That is exactly what this
thread is about.

--
Dotan Cohen

http://bido.com