From: Merciadri Luca on
green wrote:
> Merciadri Luca wrote at 2010-06-25 04:57 -0500:
>

> You've probably already checked this, but is the switch connected to a LAN port
> on the router and the modem connected to the WAN port? If the modem were
> connected to a LAN port, then that puts 2 DHCP servers on one network and
> causes weirdness.

Nice idea to check this. I checked, and the physical configuration is okay.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Anand Sivaram wrote:
> Do you have lights (led light) for each of your rj45 ports? Have you
> seen the output of them when you say that you can not access your
> router/other computers?
Yes. LEDs are still ok when this happens.
> Try installing "ethtool" on your debian and see "ethtool eth0" (or
> whatever interface) during that time to see link is up. What about
> pinging your router/computer at that time?
Thanks. I'll try to ping it when it fails. I'll also try ethtool. Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Remember, no one can make you feel inferior, without your consent.

From: green on

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:00:26 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>> I am not familiar with you setup as I use "all-in-one" devices (ADSL
>> bundled modem-router) and in my case, yes, sometimes the modem-router
>> gets "stuck" and I have to powercycle the device to get it operative
>> again.
>>

> Okay. But then, how would you explain the modem LEDs to be constantly
> lighted when nothing works?

It can be receiving traffic from the ISP itself (assigning IP/DNS/gateway
data to the device, validating a PPPoE login session, etc...).

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On 06/25/10 05:57, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For one week now, I sometimes `loose' any access to the LAN and the WAN.
> Here is the way I am connected to the Internet:
>
> ISP (house's wall) -> ISP modem (RJ-45) -> D-Link DIR-635 router (RJ-45)
> -> Switch (RJ-45) -> 192.168.0.101 (this computer).

<SNIP>

> I can't understand this problem. Any idea?

I would try a few things to narrow down the cause. Make sure you are
running one and only dhcp server on your lan. Try by giving your
computer a fixed lan address. Check the computer's log (/var/log/syslog)
to see if there are any messages regarding network problems around the
time you face them. Use ifconfig command to see if your interface is
having any errors.

Finally, if everything seems to work okay yet the problem still occurs,
very often it is just defective cable. Try replacing it and see if that
helps.

ever having been read.