From: Merciadri Luca on
Camaleón wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:00:26 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

>> Camaleón wrote:
>>

>>> I am not familiar with you setup as I use "all-in-one" devices (ADSL
>>> bundled modem-router) and in my case, yes, sometimes the modem-router
>>> gets "stuck" and I have to powercycle the device to get it operative
>>> again.
>>>

>> Okay. But then, how would you explain the modem LEDs to be constantly
>> lighted when nothing works?
>>

> It can be receiving traffic from the ISP itself (assigning IP/DNS/gateway
> data to the device, validating a PPPoE login session, etc...).

Sure, but then, why does it suddenly stop when the Internet connection
re-works?

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Camaleón on
On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:47:43 +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:

> Camaleón wrote:

>>> Okay. But then, how would you explain the modem LEDs to be constantly
>>> lighted when nothing works?
>>>

>> It can be receiving traffic from the ISP itself (assigning
>> IP/DNS/gateway data to the device, validating a PPPoE login session,
>> etc...).
>>
> Sure, but then, why does it suddenly stop when the Internet connection
> re-works?

Dunno :-)

It's a modem, so I guess you cannot gather any useful information from it
(I mean no "logs" you can review to get the device WAN activity).

Can you tell us the brand and model name of the modem? Maybe allows some
basic monitoring...

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Dne, 25. 06. 2010 14:09:27 je Merciadri Luca napisal(a):

> > If so, first step I'd try to change/replace is the router.
> >
> Well, okay, I'll try it. But no other clue? Thanks.

I'd have to agree with Camaleon on that. One thing you could try before
actually *replacing* the router is just disconnect it and connect
directly through the switch (seeing you have one in your setup). Of
course, you'll have to connecti to your ISP manually -- as opposed to
your router taking care of it -- but it would surely take any router
issues out of the equation, helping you further pinpoint the problem.

--
Regards,

Klistvud
Certifiable Loonix User #481801
http://bufferoverflow.tiddlyspot.com

What's the point of the switch in your setup?

On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 12:40 PM, Arthur Machlas
<arthur.machlas(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> What's the point of the switch in your setup?

Silly me, sent before I was done pontificating. Also wanted to add
that you should check your router for the latest firmware updates,
most residential routers are rushed out the door fugees style (ready
or not, here I come), and then receive some firmware updates to take
care of the inevitable problems that early adopters discover.