From: Arthur Machlas on
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:53:09 -0400
> vr <debian-user(a)iotk.net> wrote:
>
>> On 6/25/2010 3:27 PM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> > Might be that, but how could my ISP guess that I'm using a router?
>> >

>> The first few characters of a MAC address are registered to a company.
>
> True, but many companies make both routers and regular NICs.  Is there
> any way to tell from the MAC whether we're dealing with, say, a Linksys
> router as opposed to one of their NICs?

My ISP provided me with a "router" / modem, however the router is of
the extremely handicapped variety. Thus, I had to go into the
interface of the router/modem and tell it to act only as a gateway.
The only device that ever connects to that gateway is my linksys
router, so the ISP should have no way of telling how many devices are
actually connected to the router.

At this point my best guess is that the OP has at least five, perhaps
more devices connected to one crappy little residential router, and it
is understandably not at all happy with the situation, so it is
flaking out.

Maybe it's time to start perhaps some resource limits on your
connected devices via the router interface, or else tweak your Debian
system to not overhwelem the darned thing by lowering the maximum
number of simul requests, etc.

/guessing
Best,
AM

On 06/25/10 14:44, vr wrote:
> On 6/25/2010 5:57 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> For one week now, I sometimes `loose' any access to the LAN and the WAN.
>> Here is the way I am connected to the Internet:
>>
>> ISP (house's wall) -> ISP modem (RJ-45) -> D-Link DIR-635 router
>> (RJ-45)
>> -> Switch (RJ-45) -> 192.168.0.101 (this computer).
>>
> [snip]
>
> Does your ISP claim to disallow routers or possibly charge extra for
> multiple PC's? Might be time to input your PC's MAC in the MAC spoofing
> section of your router.

Mac address is usually an issue in cable internet connections. In any
case, router/modems usually have a feature called "clone mac address"
exactly for this kind of situation, it clones the mac address of your
hardware and shows that mac address to the peer on ISP's side.

ever having been read.

John Hasler wrote:
> Merciadri Luca writes:
>

> Their modem knows it: it's connected to your router via ethernet.

Well, I had forgotten this. Thanks for pointing this out.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
H.S. wrote:
> On 06/25/10 14:44, vr wrote:
>

> Mac address is usually an issue in cable internet connections. In any
> case, router/modems usually have a feature called "clone mac address"
> exactly for this kind of situation, it clones the mac address of your
> hardware and shows that mac address to the peer on ISP's side.

Sad to need to go so far to enjoy something you already pay for. But,
well, as I said earlier, I had never had any problems with my ISP
before. Thus, except if they radically changed their policy...

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

From: Merciadri Luca on
Arthur Machlas wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 3:30 PM, Celejar <celejar(a)gmail.com> wrote:
>

> My ISP provided me with a "router" / modem, however the router is of
> the extremely handicapped variety. Thus, I had to go into the
> interface of the router/modem and tell it to act only as a gateway.
> The only device that ever connects to that gateway is my linksys
> router, so the ISP should have no way of telling how many devices are
> actually connected to the router.
>
> At this point my best guess is that the OP has at least five, perhaps
> more devices connected to one crappy little residential router, and it
> is understandably not at all happy with the situation, so it is
> flaking out.
>
> Maybe it's time to start perhaps some resource limits on your
> connected devices via the router interface, or else tweak your Debian
> system to not overhwelem the darned thing by lowering the maximum
> number of simul requests, etc.

But if I buy a router with 4 LAN ports, it *should* offer good quality
services for all the 4 ports, shouldn't it? AFAICR the manual (well, I
never read manuals), it is said nowhere not to exploit `too much' the
router! Your explanation might be the key to my problems, but what else
can you buy if you need to connect >4 computers? If you want something a
little bit `bigger' (hoping for `stronger' too), you need to buy some 20
or 40-port router, which is completely useless for me.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

We are all geniuses up to the age of ten. (Aldous Huxley)