From: green on
lee wrote at 2010-06-26 09:28 -0500:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:11:11AM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
> > According to my pings (see last messages), the router looks like
> > overwhelmed, and is thus completely crappy. I don't know why it happens
> > now. I am still wondering why.

> DHCP with these routers usually sucks, as well as the nameservers
> built into them do.

Someone mentioned DD-WRT; that would probably be a good thing to try IF your
router is supported. My experience with routers suggests that usually a
router's software is more of a problem than the hardware.

http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/support/router-database
From: Andrew McGlashan on
Hi,

lee wrote:
> See if the problem persists. If it does, replace the modem. Installing
> squid on your computer and configuring shorewall so that your computer
> acts as a transparent proxy for all the computers on your LAN is a
> good idea. You might want to go further and set up your computer to
> provide email services to the computers on your LAN. Setups with
> dyndns --- if you can't get a static IP --- work reasonably well to
> receive your email directly. That frees you a great deal from the
> usually ridiculous limits email service providers impose on their
> users and greatly speeds up and easyfies things for the users on the
> LAN.

Umm, to run a proper mail server, you wouldn't and probably shouldn't be
able to use a dynamic IP.

The MX record for mail must have a "real" A record that has a fixed IP;
and that A record's IP should have a proper reverse DNS -- anything less
and you'll have all sorts of trouble sending / receiving mail directly
from / to your own mail server.

--
Kind Regards
AndrewM

Andrew McGlashan
Broadband Solutions now including VoIP

lee wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 26, 2010 at 09:11:11AM +0200, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>

> To figure this out, it's a good idea to simplify things first:
>

> * use static IPs on all the computers connected to the LAN and turn
> off the DHCP server in the router if possible
>
> * connect the switch to the router as the only device connected to the
> router and plug all the computers into the switch instead

Already done.
> After these steps, see if the problem persists. If it persists:
>

> * unplug the router, plug your computer directly into the modem, set
> up your computer for making the connection to your ISP

Everything works great, if so.
> * plug the switch into a second network card in your computer, the
> other computers connected to the switch

Eh, I don't have a second NC.
> * set up a firewall on your computer, using, for example, shorewall,
> and configure it so that your computer basically replaces the router
>
> * set up a name server on your computer to operate as a name server
> for all the computers on your LAN
>

> See if the problem persists. If it does, replace the modem. Installing
> squid on your computer and configuring shorewall so that your computer
> acts as a transparent proxy for all the computers on your LAN is a
> good idea. You might want to go further and set up your computer to
> provide email services to the computers on your LAN. Setups with
> dyndns --- if you can't get a static IP --- work reasonably well to
> receive your email directly. That frees you a great deal from the
> usually ridiculous limits email service providers impose on their
> users and greatly speeds up and easyfies things for the users on the
> LAN.
>
> DHCP with these routers usually sucks, as well as the nameservers
> built into them do
Thanks. Today, everything worked perfectly. If it lags at one moment,
I'll try other stuff. Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

Many receive advice; only the wise profit from it.

From: lee on
On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:54:17AM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:

> Umm, to run a proper mail server, you wouldn't and probably
> shouldn't be able to use a dynamic IP.
>
> The MX record for mail must have a "real" A record that has a fixed
> IP; and that A record's IP should have a proper reverse DNS --
> anything less and you'll have all sorts of trouble sending /
> receiving mail directly from / to your own mail server.

You can use the email server of your provider as a smarthost to send
the outgoing mail while still receiving it directly. I'm not saying
it's ideal, and I'd rather have a static IP, but it can work
reasonably well. I didn't say anything about outgoing mail in my

Le Sat 26/06/2010, lee disait
> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 01:54:17AM +1000, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
> >
> > Umm, to run a proper mail server, you wouldn't and probably
> > shouldn't be able to use a dynamic IP.
> >
> > The MX record for mail must have a "real" A record that has a fixed
> > IP; and that A record's IP should have a proper reverse DNS --
> > anything less and you'll have all sorts of trouble sending /
> > receiving mail directly from / to your own mail server.
>
> You can use the email server of your provider as a smarthost to send
> the outgoing mail while still receiving it directly. I'm not saying
> it's ideal, and I'd rather have a static IP, but it can work
> reasonably well. I didn't say anything about outgoing mail in my

receiving directly needs a MX record, which needs a static IP because of DNS caches

You may get what you want if you find a service provider which provides UUCP or ETRN for your domain.

--
Erwan