From: Richard on
In his posting of Sun, 20 Dec 2009, Jim writes
>Hi Richard,
>
>I think it's all about the money. I have upgraded my X64 machine to
>Vista 64-bit and just recently to Windows 7 64-bit. I haven't seen
>much change. My machine is still badly screwed up, as it was the last
>two times I upgraded. However, Windows 7 has one feature that I
>*really* like, which is the ability to *Force* a shutdown of programs
>which are locked up in the background. My machine was starting to
>take 20 minutes (literally) to shut down. Windows 7 has cut that to
>less than 5. Also the networking is *much* improved, particularly
>with other Windows 7 machines. Vista was a networking disaster for
>me. Nevertheless, I can't say that my hardware is much improved,
>other than the startups and shutdowns being quicker, which is not
>insignificant.
>
>I hope that helps! :-)
>
>Jim

Jim

Ah that makes me feel better<G>

Cheers

Richard

From: Jim on
On Dec 20, 4:46 pm, Richard <rich...(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote:
> Ah that makes me feel better<G>

Hi Richard,

I *do* think they get a little bit better each time. Networking is
better, and my printers are better supported in Windows 7.
Nevertheless, the cost is considerable. Many of my programs were
starting to run so slowly I was going to have to reformat anyway.
This way I upgraded to Windows 7, and I gained some improvement, but I
did *not* fix the problems.

Jim
From: Richard on
In his posting of Mon, 21 Dec 2009, Jim writes
>On Dec 20, 4:46�pm, Richard <rich...(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote:
>> Ah that makes me feel better<G>
>
>Hi Richard,
>
>I *do* think they get a little bit better each time. Networking is
>better, and my printers are better supported in Windows 7.
>Nevertheless, the cost is considerable. Many of my programs were
>starting to run so slowly I was going to have to reformat anyway.
>This way I upgraded to Windows 7, and I gained some improvement, but I
>did *not* fix the problems.
>
>Jim

It seems to me Jim that we buy faster and faster computer systems to run
more and more complicated software. I'm just being rather cynical but
when Photoshop was in it's very early days it came on three floppy
disks...at version CS2, the version I have stopped at, it takes up 420MB
of a CD! I would agree that it is now a much more capable application!
Then of course eight years ago the largest image files I worked on were
about 40MB but not it is up to 1.8G before adding layers which bring
many up to around 5Gs.

I was happy with NT4....never had any real problems, but when 2000 came
along I really had no wish to move to XP when that arrived and only did
do for the 64bit support when eventually that was offered.

I hope 7 is well and truly sorted by the time drivers are no longer in
XP Pro 64 for any vital new hardware such as printers!

Cheers

Richard

From: Clemens Gleich on
>>BTW, there is no direct upgrade available. You'll need to do a clean
>>install when you move to Windows 7 64-bit. (You can use an Upgrade
>>version, but it still requires a clean install.)
>>
> Thanks, I will try to remember this for when the time comes<G>

There is a MS tool called "Easy Transfer", which you can download from their
site. It's the same as the XP migration tool, but works for settings and
files from XP to Windows 7. Makes moving faster. Transfer everything, *then*
install your software. Your settings should be as before.

Regards,
Clemens

From: Clemens Gleich on

> Is there any benefit in upgrading from XP Pro64 o Windows 7 64 please?

The user interface is a big step forward, if you are a power user and do a
lot via keyboard. I just love it.

> Does it run significantly faster for example.

Can't help you there, but if speed is your sole reason: don't do it.

> Cheers
>
> Richard

Regards,
Clemens