From: David Kerber on
In article <81de062b-e5ac-4767-81ae-4ccddbdc3747
@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, jmegas(a)cal.berkeley.edu says...

> On Dec 20, 4:46�pm, Richard <rich...(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote:
> > Ah that makes me feel better<G>
>
> Hi Richard,
>
> I *do* think they get a little bit better each time. Networking is
> better,

In what way? I haven't noticed any difference; they're both extremely
easy to set up networking.

From: Richard on
In his posting of Thu, 24 Dec 2009, David Kerber writes
>In article <81de062b-e5ac-4767-81ae-4ccddbdc3747
>@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, jmegas(a)cal.berkeley.edu says...
>>
>> On Dec 20, 4:46�pm, Richard <rich...(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote:
>> > Ah that makes me feel better<G>
>>
>> Hi Richard,
>>
>> I *do* think they get a little bit better each time. Networking is
>> better,
>
>In what way? I haven't noticed any difference; they're both extremely
>easy to set up networking.

David

The comment you are commenting on was not mine<G> Networking has not
been an issue for me with either NT, 2000 or XP. My issue at the moment
is with regard to getting the B. SATA dries to be recognised after the
removal of two out of the four! System is fine on the SCSI drives but
plug in the SATA drives and it will not boot and will not see the SATA
drives.. Plus those same drives into another system and no
problem....they are seen and I can pull the images off and move them
over the network to my main system. Perhaps I may be able to find the
solution over the holiday break.

Cheers

Richard

From: David Kerber on
In article <w0m5FM0kP3MLFwiP(a)eclipse.co.uk>, richard(a)spamfree.co.uk
says...

> In his posting of Thu, 24 Dec 2009, David Kerber writes
> >In article <81de062b-e5ac-4767-81ae-4ccddbdc3747
> >@h9g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>, jmegas(a)cal.berkeley.edu says...

> >> Hi Richard,
> >>
> >> I *do* think they get a little bit better each time. Networking is
> >> better,
> >
> >In what way? I haven't noticed any difference; they're both extremely
> >easy to set up networking.
>
> David
>
> The comment you are commenting on was not mine<G> Networking has not

Oops, sorry I missed the doubled >>. :-D

From: Rob Moir on

"Richard" <richard(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote in message

> I was happy with NT4....never had any real problems, but when 2000 came
> along I really had no wish to move to XP when that arrived and only did do
> for the 64bit support when eventually that was offered.
>
> I hope 7 is well and truly sorted by the time drivers are no longer in XP
> Pro 64 for any vital new hardware such as printers!

I'd say Win 7 already is "sorted". It's not perfect but then nothing is, but
I'd say its the best Windows so far. And I'm primarily a mac owner these
days, so I'm hardly blinded by the Microsoft marketing machine when I say
that.

One advantage - I'd say that Win 7 x64 can be on a main desktop machine
without any reservations, which you probably couldn't say about XP x64. The
only issue is if you have any very old 16-bit software. But if you have 2
computers in the room with one dedicated to one job you may find that a
waste of resources if you can reduce that to just one computer doing
everything.

From: David Kerber on
In article <D02F5449-B58E-44DF-BEFB-AEF8B2CD8742(a)microsoft.com>,
robspamtrap(a)gmail.com says...

> "Richard" <richard(a)spamfree.co.uk> wrote in message
>

> > I was happy with NT4....never had any real problems, but when 2000 came
> > along I really had no wish to move to XP when that arrived and only did do
> > for the 64bit support when eventually that was offered.
> >
> > I hope 7 is well and truly sorted by the time drivers are no longer in XP
> > Pro 64 for any vital new hardware such as printers!
>
> I'd say Win 7 already is "sorted". It's not perfect but then nothing is, but
> I'd say its the best Windows so far. And I'm primarily a mac owner these
> days, so I'm hardly blinded by the Microsoft marketing machine when I say
> that.

If you haven't used the older windows versions much, you may not realize
how much useful functionality is missing from Win7, which was replaced
by eye candy. Overall it's good and I'm going to stick with, but there
is some significant functionality missing, which was in everything from
NT on, that I had to replace with 3rd party software.

> One advantage - I'd say that Win 7 x64 can be on a main desktop machine
> without any reservations, which you probably couldn't say about XP x64. The
> only issue is if you have any very old 16-bit software.

And XP mode can take care of that for you.

> But if you have 2
> computers in the room with one dedicated to one job you may find that a
> waste of resources if you can reduce that to just one computer doing
> everything.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Prev: defrag missing