From: Paul E Condon on
On 20100428_092823, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 02:16:20 -0400 (EDT), Camale�n wrote:
> >>
> >> Solo en ingles, por favor, o mailto:debian-user-spanish(a)lists.debian.org
> >
> > After some attemps to try to contact the user (he also writes into the
> > Spanish list), I reached the following conclusions:
> >
> > 1/ The user does not receive many of the e-mails coming from the list.
> >
> > 2/ He cannot receive e-mails from the outside (maybe is behind a proxy or
> > firewall or any kind of filter system that rejects external e-mails).
>
> That is indeed strange. I have never heard of an e-mail system that allows
> e-mails out but not in. (Except for spam setups, of course!) He must have
> *some* way of receiving replies, such as viewing the mailing list archives
> via a browser. Otherwise, why would he ask a question to which he knows that
> he cannot receive replies? And if memory serves me correctly, this user
> has been repeatedly told that debian-user is for English only. I must
> therefore conclude that he is either (a) stupid, (b) careless, or (c) obnoxious.

Steve:

There are many more possible reasons than three. Given Camaleon's report of
his investigation, I think it is like that the real reason is something else,
not on your list. Perhaps, for instance, he is insane and is confined to a
mental institution where some of the more lucid inmates are allowed access
to the computers and internet. Whatever the real reason, Camaleon seems to
have exhausted the publicly available options for communication. I thank him.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon(a)mesanetworks.net

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:28:23 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 02:16:20 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

>> After some attemps to try to contact the user (he also writes into the
>> Spanish list), I reached the following conclusions:
>>
>> 1/ The user does not receive many of the e-mails coming from the list.
>>
>> 2/ He cannot receive e-mails from the outside (maybe is behind a proxy
>> or firewall or any kind of filter system that rejects external
>> e-mails).
>
> That is indeed strange. I have never heard of an e-mail system that
> allows e-mails out but not in. (Except for spam setups, of course!)

Look at his e-mail address :-/

This won't be the first time I see problems with user coming from some
restrictive networks.

> He must have *some* way of receiving replies, such as viewing the
> mailing list archives via a browser. Otherwise, why would he ask a
> question to which he knows that he cannot receive replies? And if
> memory serves me correctly, this user has been repeatedly told that
> debian-user is for English only. I must therefore conclude that he is
> either (a) stupid, (b) careless, or (c) obnoxious. And none of those
> alternatives speak well of him or motivate people to help him.

There is still another option: "d) Other" :-)

Many cuban users are not able to browse the web (they have Internet but
only e-mail access, no web browsing) so if that is the case, he cannot
review the mailing list posts using web archives and if he is not
receiving e-mails coming from external users (non *.cu addresses), he is
then stuck.

But I'm just guessing, true is that in the Spanish mailing list there are
some posts coming from him, but *not* replies.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:47:30 -0400 (EDT), Paul E Condon wrote:
> On 20100428_092823, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> I must therefore conclude that he is either (a) stupid,
>> (b) careless, or (c) obnoxious.
>
> There are many more possible reasons than three.
> Perhaps, for instance, he is insane and is confined to a
> mental institution where some of the more lucid inmates are allowed access
> to the computers and internet.

Thank you for helping me to "think outside the box", Paul. ;-)

> Whatever the real reason, Camaleon seems to
> have exhausted the publicly available options for communication. I thank him.

Well, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who misidentified Camaleón's gender.
Camaleón is female.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

On Wed, Apr 28, 2010 at 09:28:23 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 02:16:20 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> >>
> >> Solo en ingles, por favor, o mailto:debian-user-spanish(a)lists.debian.org
> >
> > After some attemps to try to contact the user (he also writes into the
> > Spanish list), I reached the following conclusions:
> >
> > 1/ The user does not receive many of the e-mails coming from the list.
> >
> > 2/ He cannot receive e-mails from the outside (maybe is behind a proxy or
> > firewall or any kind of filter system that rejects external e-mails).
>
> That is indeed strange. I have never heard of an e-mail system that allows
> e-mails out but not in. (Except for spam setups, of course!) He must have
> *some* way of receiving replies, such as viewing the mailing list archives
> via a browser. Otherwise, why would he ask a question to which he knows that
> he cannot receive replies? And if memory serves me correctly, this user
> has been repeatedly told that debian-user is for English only. I must
> therefore conclude that he is either (a) stupid, (b) careless, or (c) obnoxious.

I would say it is d) "all of the above". If you understand Spanish, see
for yourself:

> And none of those alternatives speak well of him or motivate people to
> help him.

Unfortunately, people still respond to him or even worry about
apologizing on behalf of the list if other subscribers tell him to get
lost.

--
Regards, |
Florian |

On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 10:03:15 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 09:28:23 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> That is indeed strange. I have never heard of an e-mail system that
>> allows e-mails out but not in. (Except for spam setups, of course!)
>
> Look at his e-mail address :-/
>
> This won't be the first time I see problems with user coming from some
> restrictive networks.
>>
>> He must have *some* way of receiving replies, such as viewing the
>> mailing list archives via a browser. Otherwise, why would he ask a
>> question to which he knows that he cannot receive replies? And if
>> memory serves me correctly, this user has been repeatedly told that
>> debian-user is for English only. I must therefore conclude that he is
>> either (a) stupid, (b) careless, or (c) obnoxious. And none of those
>> alternatives speak well of him or motivate people to help him.
>
> There is still another option: "d) Other" :-)
>
> Many cuban users are not able to browse the web (they have Internet but
> only e-mail access, no web browsing) so if that is the case, he cannot
> review the mailing list posts using web archives and if he is not
> receiving e-mails coming from external users (non *.cu addresses), he is
> then stuck.
>
> But I'm just guessing, true is that in the Spanish mailing list there are
> some posts coming from him, but *not* replies.

If what you say is true, then he is wasting his time (and ours) by posting
to *any* list. If he can
only receive e-mails from fellow Cubans, then even if there are fellow
Cubans who could help him and are subscribed to the list, they will never
receive his posts, since the list server is outside of Cuba. In fact,
no-one in Cuba could even subscribe to the list, since they will never
receive the confirmation e-mail. And if they don't have web access
either, then posting to *any* list is an exercise in futility for Cubans.
Lists are black holes to Cubans. Everything goes in, nothing comes out.
Apparently he hasn't figured that out yet.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Where does update-initramfs get info?
Next: URL