From: Ron Johnson on
On 2010-04-06 03:33, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> Ron Johnson schreef:
>> On 2010-04-05 22:22, Matthew Moore wrote:
[snip]

>> Linux (and Unix, for that matter) does not have the concept of the "job"
>>
>> Business-oriented operating systems (like OpenVMS, MVS/OS, OS/400 and
>> other legacy systems) do, but any operating system without a batch
>> queue (which is, naturally, to where you submit jobs) can not have
>> "jobs".
> Then please file a bug report to rename the inaptly named "jobs" command

:)

If I read this[0] correctly, then a "job" is just a backgrounded
process. This[1][2] is what jobs really are. It's usual purpose is
to process the Nightly Cycle, even though on a 24x7 system, sets of
jobs will run night and day. They should be integrated into the OS.
DBMSs (like Oracle) should *not* have integrated job schedulers

[0] http://www.faqs.org/docs/bashman/bashref_78.html
[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_scheduler
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Job_Processing_Cycle

--
"History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak
or the timid." Dwight Eisenhower

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just made the mistake of my life and upgraded mc from
> 2:4.6.2~git20080311-4 to 3:4.7.0.1-1.
>
> And the new color scheme is enough to cause instant blindness :-(
> No kidding!
>
> How do I get back to what I had?
> Anybody?

OK. What about this. Can anybody explain the following:

hugo(a)debian:~$ which mc
/usr/local/bin/mc
hugo(a)debian:~$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.7.0.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
With builtin Editor
Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 8
hugo(a)debian:~$ /usr/local/bin/mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
With builtin Editor
Using included S-Lang library with terminfo database
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
With internationalization support

Hugo

On Tue, Apr 06, 2010 at 02:00:06PM -0500, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> OK. What about this. Can anybody explain the following:
>
> hugo(a)debian:~$ which mc
> /usr/local/bin/mc
> hugo(a)debian:~$ mc -V
> GNU Midnight Commander 4.7.0.1
> Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
> With builtin Editor
> Using system-installed S-Lang library with terminfo database
> With subshell support as default
> With support for background operations
> With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
> With internationalization support
> With multiple codepages support
> Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 8
> hugo(a)debian:~$ /usr/local/bin/mc -V
> GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
> Virtual File System: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, undelfs
> With builtin Editor
> Using included S-Lang library with terminfo database
> With subshell support as default
> With support for background operations
> With mouse support on xterm and Linux console
> With internationalization support

Hello,

I think (wild guess) you are checking this from a
different shell or did not log out/log in yet; or any other method
-direct or indirect- the refresh your path.
Try to source your .bashrc or whatever defines your $PATH, and check
what happens.

This is what I have:

Locally built copy:
$ which mc
/usr/local/bin/mc
$ mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.7.1
Sistema de archivos virtual: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish, mcfs,
undelfs
Editor de texto propio incluido
Utilizando la biblioteca S-Lang instalada y terminales según terminfo
Soporte subshell activo por defecto
Soporte para operaciones en 2º plano
Soporte para ratón en xterm y consola Linux
Soporte para eventos X11
Soporte para idioma local
Soporte para cambio de juegos de caracteres
Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 32

Original deb package:
$ /usr/bin/mc -V
GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.2-pre1
Sistema de archivos virtual: tarfs, extfs, cpiofs, ftpfs, fish
Editor de texto propio incluido
Utilizando la biblioteca S-Lang instalada y terminales según terminfo
Soporte subshell activo por defecto
Soporte para operaciones en 2º plano
Soporte para ratón en xterm y consola Linux
Soporte para idioma local
Soporte para cambio de juegos de caracteres
Data types: char 8 int 32 long 32 void * 32 off_t 64 ecs_char 8

$ echo $PATH
/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/games

Regards.

--
Huella de clave = 943C D77F 0CB0 02FE 166E E06F D13A A2E1 98A5 C953
From: Thomas Siedlich on
Hi Hugo!

On 2010-04-06, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> OK. What about this. Can anybody explain the following:
>
> hugo(a)debian:~$ which mc
> /usr/local/bin/mc
> hugo(a)debian:~$ mc -V
> GNU Midnight Commander 4.7.0.1
[...]
> hugo(a)debian:~$ /usr/local/bin/mc -V
> GNU Midnight Commander 4.6.1
[...]

Maybe an alias?

What says 'alias mc'?

Thomas

Thomas Siedlich wrote:
> Hi Hugo!
>
> On 2010-04-06, Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> OK. What about this. Can anybody explain the following:
>>
>> hugo(a)debian:~$ which mc
>> /usr/local/bin/mc
>> hugo(a)debian:~$ mc -V
>> GNU Midnight Commander 4.7.0.1