From: Hugo Vanwoerkom on
Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just made the mistake of my life and upgraded mc from
> 2:4.6.2~git20080311-4 to 3:4.7.0.1-1.
>
> And the new color scheme is enough to cause instant blindness :-(
> No kidding!
>
> How do I get back to what I had?
> Anybody?

So what happened is that starting with 4.7.0 mc supports skins.

There are 5 skins shipped with mc:

darkfar - black background
default - the old default: blue background
double-lines - like default but with double lines. Couldn't get that to work
featured - like double-lines
gotar - black backround

I found 2 skins googling:

elite_commander - unreadable with black backround
bluemoon - black background.

I found no skins anywhere with my choice for years: white background.

So it's back to the old blue default because it takes days of diddling
to make up a skin.

Hugo

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just made the mistake of my life and upgraded mc from
>> 2:4.6.2~git20080311-4 to 3:4.7.0.1-1.
>>
>> And the new color scheme is enough to cause instant blindness :-(
>> No kidding!
>>
>> How do I get back to what I had?
>> Anybody?
>>

> So what happened is that starting with 4.7.0 mc supports skins.
>
> There are 5 skins shipped with mc:
>
> darkfar - black background
> default - the old default: blue background
> double-lines - like default but with double lines. Couldn't get that to
> work
> featured - like double-lines
> gotar - black backround
>
> I found 2 skins googling:
>
> elite_commander - unreadable with black backround
> bluemoon - black background.
>
> I found no skins anywhere with my choice for years: white background.
>
> So it's back to the old blue default because it takes days of diddling
> to make up a skin.
>
> Hugo

Hi,
I was just download and open elite_commander skin.
I think if in:
[core]
_default_=gray;

change to white
[core]
_default_=white;
it should be white background.
I don't have mc so I can't try, but it seems easy to modified.
--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just made the mistake of my life and upgraded mc from
>> 2:4.6.2~git20080311-4 to 3:4.7.0.1-1.
>>
>> And the new color scheme is enough to cause instant blindness :-(
>> No kidding!
>>
>> How do I get back to what I had?
>> Anybody?
>>

> So what happened is that starting with 4.7.0 mc supports skins.
>
> There are 5 skins shipped with mc:
>
> darkfar - black background
> default - the old default: blue background
> double-lines - like default but with double lines. Couldn't get that to
> work
> featured - like double-lines
> gotar - black backround
>
> I found 2 skins googling:
>
> elite_commander - unreadable with black backround
> bluemoon - black background.
>
> I found no skins anywhere with my choice for years: white background.
>
> So it's back to the old blue default because it takes days of diddling
> to make up a skin.

I've complained about it on the mc userlist:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc/2010-April/msg00024.html

Hugo

godo wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> I just made the mistake of my life and upgraded mc from
>>> 2:4.6.2~git20080311-4 to 3:4.7.0.1-1.
>>>
>>> And the new color scheme is enough to cause instant blindness :-(
>>> No kidding!
>>>
>>> How do I get back to what I had?
>>> Anybody?
>>>

>> So what happened is that starting with 4.7.0 mc supports skins.
>>
>> There are 5 skins shipped with mc:
>>
>> darkfar - black background
>> default - the old default: blue background
>> double-lines - like default but with double lines. Couldn't get that
>> to work
>> featured - like double-lines
>> gotar - black backround
>>
>> I found 2 skins googling:
>>
>> elite_commander - unreadable with black backround
>> bluemoon - black background.
>>
>> I found no skins anywhere with my choice for years: white background.
>>
>> So it's back to the old blue default because it takes days of diddling
>> to make up a skin.
>>
>> Hugo
>>

> Hi,
> I was just download and open elite_commander skin.
> I think if in:
> [core]
> _default_=gray;
>
> change to white
> [core]
> _default_=white;
> it should be white background.
> I don't have mc so I can't try, but it seems easy to modified.

Hi Goran,

I just posted a followup with my complaint on the mc user list:
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/mc/2010-April/msg00024.html

It's not that simple as I mention there: when you change that default
option all the directory entries turn bright white and in mcedit the
entries turn black on white with a blue background which looks ridiculous.

The problem is that they changed a major function without fallback and
without a spectrum of options.

Too bad but it's waiting until skins get developed or pinning mc to
prevent 4.7.0.1 from installing.

Hugo