From: Adam Hardy on
Merciadri Luca on 14/05/10 11:31, wrote:
> Ron Johnson wrote:
>> On 05/13/2010 06:28 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>>> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
>>> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
>>> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>>>
>>> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really
>>> need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its
>>> datafeeds.
>>>
>>> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
>>> regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die
>>> completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>>>
>>> Is there something like this already in existence?
>>>
>> smsclient, ping and bash should do the trick...
>>
> Might not be too hard to implement, as explained by Ron.

I shall look into these options. I'll obviously have to open up the ping port on
my firewall.

Thanks v much for the tips.

Regards
Adam

On 05/14/2010 06:32 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Merciadri Luca on 14/05/10 11:31, wrote:
>> Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> smsclient, ping and bash should do the trick...
>>>
>> Might not be too hard to implement, as explained by Ron.
>
> I shall look into these options. I'll obviously have to open up the ping
> port on my firewall.

Outgoing ports are randomly assigned, though, aren't they?

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson on 14/05/10 12:54, wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 06:32 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> Merciadri Luca on 14/05/10 11:31, wrote:

>>> Might not be too hard to implement, as explained by Ron.
>>
>> I shall look into these options. I'll obviously have to open up the ping
>> port on my firewall.
>>

> Outgoing ports are randomly assigned, though, aren't they?

Sure. I mean on the box at home that I'm monitoring from the online server.
Aaaah, just realised I don't have a fixed IP ?$*!(*)"*"!!!

On 05/14/2010 08:13 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> Ron Johnson on 14/05/10 12:54, wrote:
[snip]

>> Outgoing ports are randomly assigned, though, aren't they?
>
> Sure. I mean on the box at home that I'm monitoring from the online

Ah, right. Never mind...

> server. Aaaah, just realised I don't have a fixed IP ?$*!(*)"*"!!!

dyndns.org?

Adam Hardy on 14/05/10 14:13, wrote:
> Ron Johnson on 14/05/10 12:54, wrote:

>>> I shall look into these options. I'll obviously have to open up the ping
>>> port on my firewall.
>>>

>> Outgoing ports are randomly assigned, though, aren't they?
>
> Sure. I mean on the box at home that I'm monitoring from the online
> server. Aaaah, just realised I don't have a fixed IP ?$*!(*)"*"!!!

Actually the more I think about it, the more I realise that I would rather have
some kind of full blooded monitoring app which lets me see stats (or even charts
like ntop) of internet speed over the week, although I bet that is just dreaming.

I read one thread somewhere out there about apps like cacti, zenoss and
groundwork - if you know anything about such packages, then you know more about
them than me: is this kind of package remotely suitable or am I barking up the
wrong tree?

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: gtk-recordMyDesktop