From: owens on

Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?
Larry

owens(a)netptc.net on 14/05/10 15:06, wrote:
>>> On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:28:54AM +0100, Adam Hardy uttered:

>>> Not sure as I'm going from memory. Webmin had/has a heartbeat monitor
>>> plug-in and if memory serves it had a way to notify a phone number,
>>> e-mail address etc. I assume it's not that important to be SMS
>>> necessarily?
>>>
>>> Webmin AFAIK is not in Debian anymore; but you can get it upstream or
>>> perhaps look at the heartbeat application in Debian to see what it has
>>> for remote notification.
>>>
> Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?

There was probably a lot more that it was designed for. Plus one of the first
things to appear in google:

"Despite its acronym, SNMP is not exactly simple! In fact, it never ceases to
amaze me how much of a black art implementing and using SNMP"

I don't necessarily want to avoid it, it's just got that 'can-of-worms' sort of
feel to it and I'm hoping I only need the little script in bash. Or at least I
did until I realised I'd have to tie ping together with dyndns.org and
smsclient. Possibly a brainer. I mean, not a no-brainer.

On 05/14/2010 10:04 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
[snip]

>> Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?
>
> There was probably a lot more that it was designed for. Plus one of the
> first things to appear in google:
>
> "Despite its acronym, SNMP is not exactly simple! In fact, it never
> ceases to amaze me how much of a black art implementing and using SNMP"

But snmp relies on the network, no?

> I don't necessarily want to avoid it, it's just got that 'can-of-worms'
> sort of feel to it and I'm hoping I only need the little script in bash.
> Or at least I did until I realised I'd have to tie ping together with
> dyndns.org and smsclient. Possibly a brainer. I mean, not a no-brainer.

Shell programming is *incredibly* rich. With pipes, "variable
substitution" redirection, file io, all manner of control operators,
dialog/zenity, etc, etc.

If (as I suspect) you're new to bash programming, doing this
yourself will open you up to a world of possibilities you barely
knew existed.

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson on 14/05/10 20:46, wrote:
> On 05/14/2010 10:04 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> [snip]
>>>>>
>>> Isn't this what SNMP was designed for?
>>
>> There was probably a lot more that it was designed for. Plus one of the
>> first things to appear in google:
>>
>> "Despite its acronym, SNMP is not exactly simple! In fact, it never
>> ceases to amaze me how much of a black art implementing and using SNMP"
>
> But snmp relies on the network, no?
>
>> I don't necessarily want to avoid it, it's just got that 'can-of-worms'
>> sort of feel to it and I'm hoping I only need the little script in bash.
>> Or at least I did until I realised I'd have to tie ping together with
>> dyndns.org and smsclient. Possibly a brainer. I mean, not a no-brainer.
>>

> Shell programming is *incredibly* rich. With pipes, "variable
> substitution" redirection, file io, all manner of control operators,
> dialog/zenity, etc, etc.
>
> If (as I suspect) you're new to bash programming, doing this yourself
> will open you up to a world of possibilities you barely knew existed.

I wouldn't say I'm new to it, but I'm not experienced. I write little snippets
every now and again and edit system startup files etc.

This is certainly a challenge though. I guess if I can interface dyndns.org and
smsclient relatively simply with options you mention, I'll probably manage it.

I might also put a check in there for other protocols like http, just in case
ping happens to be the last protocol standing when the machine or connection is
about to keel over! (thanks to Joe in the other msg for the tip)

http://www.hcst.net/~vogelke/src/ishostup/

These scripts are good for exactly one thing: sending me (or someone) a
message if a given piece of hardware at a given IP address stops responding
for more than a minute or so. They rely on fping and regular email.

--
Karl Vogel I don't speak for the USAF or my company
He kept saying I didn't listen to him... or something. --Tritchen Smith

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: gtk-recordMyDesktop
Next: executable won't execute