From: Adam Hardy on
I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself because I
can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought I'd ask before I try
(or perhaps before I procrastinate again):

I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really need to
keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its datafeeds.

I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die completely, it
could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.

Is there something like this already in existence?

Thanks
Adam

On Fri, May 14, 2010 at 12:28:54AM +0100, Adam Hardy uttered:
> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>
> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I
> really need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can
> get its datafeeds.
>
> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home
> machine regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or
> die completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>
> Is there something like this already in existence?

Not sure as I'm going from memory. Webmin had/has a heartbeat monitor
plug-in and if memory serves it had a way to notify a phone number,
e-mail address etc. I assume it's not that important to be SMS
necessarily?

Webmin AFAIK is not in Debian anymore; but you can get it upstream or
perhaps look at the heartbeat application in Debian to see what it has
for remote notification.

HTH

On 05/14/2010 01:28 AM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>
> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really
> need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its
> datafeeds.
>
> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
> regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die
> completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>
> Is there something like this already in existence?
>
> Thanks
> Adam

Hi,
I'm not sure is this what you want. I find this DOS script on the net so
maybe you can modified it.

ping 61.4.x.x //ping to gateway
if %errorlevel%==1 (
start http://username:password(a)192.168.0.1/x.htm //command to restart router
) else (
exit
)

--
Bye,
Goran Dobosevic

On 05/13/2010 06:28 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>
> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really
> need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its
> datafeeds.
>
> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
> regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die
> completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>
> Is there something like this already in existence?

smsclient, ping and bash should do the trick...

--
Dissent is patriotic, remember?

Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 05/13/2010 06:28 PM, Adam Hardy wrote:
>> I figure this is probably something I would have to script myself
>> because I can't find anything useful looking out there, but I thought
>> I'd ask before I try (or perhaps before I procrastinate again):
>>
>> I have a machine here at home running some 24x5 programs which I really
>> need to keep up and running, along with my broadband so it can get its
>> datafeeds.
>>
>> I figured I could run a program on my webserver to ping my home machine
>> regularly and in case it starts to slow down, lose packets or die
>> completely, it could send me an SMS to alert me to the fact.
>>
>> Is there something like this already in existence?
>>

> smsclient, ping and bash should do the trick...

Might not be too hard to implement, as explained by Ron.

--
Merciadri Luca
client, please contact me.

 |  Next  |  Last