From: Bob Cain on
kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> Explain to me your logic that CO2 has the capability of retaining this
> quantity of heat to increase the density of the radiation field by this
> amount, when you can demonstrate no capability of CO2 to retain any
> heat in the laboratory.

You miss the point that it doesn't retain it, it mediates it. In the
proponent's theory it is the remaining bulk of the atmosphere that
retains what the CO2 catches as radiation and hands off as the kinetic
energy of heat. The heat capacity of CO2 itself is irrelevant simply
because of its trace concentration.

Bob
--

"Things should be described as simply as possible, but no simpler."

A. Einstein
From: kdthrge on

kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> Lloyd Parker wrote:
> > In article <1159398336.154119.99300(a)d34g2000cwd.googlegroups.com>,
> > kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:

> > the insane think they're the only sane ones. Proof positive.

There is physics. Based initially on Newton and developed until present
day in which a law is a principle that is found to be true in all
cases. Then there is the quantum theory developed by Einstein. This is
based upon the Law of Conservation of Matter and Energy for which
Einstein developed the formalism which makes the law valid in all
cases, also known as the theoreom of the inertia of energy E = mc^2
(all energy has mass and according momentum).

Then there is quantum mechanics. This only deals in the very small The
point that direct experiment cannot be conducted is where this theory
starts. An atom cannot be studied on the interior, because to disrupt
it with perhaps an X-ray, disturbs the atom and avails no objective
analyses.

Einstein to his death rejected quantum mechanics. Einstein was the
master of physics. Even after his death, the lenseing effect of distant
galaxies was discovered which he predicted. He proposed the atomic
mechanics upon which laser beams operate in 1917. This helped those to
develop it in 1960. All of nature operates according to E = mc^2.
Chemical enthalpy is the transition of energy to matter that occurs
with the formation and disassociation of bonds.
The mass defect of nuclei conforms to E = mc^2, and it's relative
importance in the modern world. Einstein understood that Quantum
Mechanics is invalid. All those that believe in QM do so against
Einstein's wisdom.

Kent Deatherage
http://home.earthlink.net/~kdthrge

From: kdthrge on

Bob Cain wrote:
> kdthrge(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>
> > Explain to me your logic that CO2 has the capability of retaining this
> > quantity of heat to increase the density of the radiation field by this
> > amount, when you can demonstrate no capability of CO2 to retain any
> > heat in the laboratory.
>
> You miss the point that it doesn't retain it, it mediates it. In the
> proponent's theory it is the remaining bulk of the atmosphere that
> retains what the CO2 catches as radiation and hands off as the kinetic
> energy of heat. The heat capacity of CO2 itself is irrelevant simply
> because of its trace concentration.

That still adds up to 10Wm-2,which should be noticeable in laboratory
experiments with CO2 concentrations much greater than 380 ppm and
change of concentrations greater than 10ppm. This perverted analyses of
gases and their interaction with thermal frequencies is made up fiction
and can be disproved by simple experiments.

Kent Deatherage

From: kdthrge on

From: kdthrge on

Retief wrote:
> On 23 Sep 2006 21:16:18 -0700, "Phil." <felton(a)princeton.edu> wrote:
>
> >> dat such as pressure. These experiments can involve general heating, or
> >> induction of specific frequencies that you claim cause "warming" if CO2
> >> is present.
> >
> >You're the one making extraordinary claims so the onus is on you to do
> >these experiments!
>
> Actually Phil, you are the one who claimed that the Earth's
> temperature would drop by 33 C, without CO2 (contrary to all evidence
> that CO2 is only one of many greenhouse gases, water vapor being the
> largest contributor).
>
> Retief

I'd like to discuss the absorption of radiation by gases. The idea that
any gases are grenhouse gases is not valid. I'd like to discuss this
objectively, in an effort to define the truth. Evidence from satellites
and even measurements from the ground are not really direct evidence.
Direct evidence is more with evacuated chambers, etc. This evidence and
other evidence combined can lead to good theoretical analyses.

My theoretical perspective is that about 1-2 microns the photons are
heavily absorbed and deflected uniformly by all gases This energy may
not be re-radiated in the same frequencies by all molecules, but the
quantity of energy is. In thermal equilibrium, Planck's distribution
law is obeyed. The quantity of energy radiated by a molecule is the
result of it's received radiation and not some "quantum peculiarities".
By 2 microns, the photons are almost all absorbed and in no way pass
through unaffected like visible light. If there is a great amount of
energy in one frequency at these lower energies, it will traverse from
molecule to molecule, being radiated in the common frequency. Radiation
coming from the earth, travels through the colder air above which is
not saturated in all the frequencies that a higher temperature would
be. They pass from
molecule to molecule and there is the appearance that some of the
thermal frequencies pass through the air.

Sun irradiance from about 1-2 micron, begins the troughs of complete
absorption and apparent transparency. I say that the energy of the
higher frequency trough is being converted and added to the lower peak
All absorbed energy must be re-radiated at some frequency although this
occurs in random directions for lower energies. Due to harmonics of
frequencies and the molecules, some bands are re-radiated more
extensively and have more forward progress. The apparent transparency
about 11 microns is because of the preponderance of energy at these
frequencies.

All gases absorb thermal frequencies uniformly from about 2-3 microns.
What are termed absorption spectra, are lack of re-radiation at these
frequencies and do not indicate greater absorption of energy by
individual molecule which is impossible except for heat capacity. If
the grenhouse idea was right, (that absorption by CO2 and N2 and O2 are
very different), very great final and intermediate temperatures in
these gases would be evident in many conditions. There is not. There is
absolutely no difference in final temperatures. And very, very minute
differences in time of achieving final temperature.

Visible light and near infrared is created at energies that are almost
at the ionization potential of atomic gases. The lower energy series
(sharp and diffuse), may be of lower energy (up to around 2 micron),
but they are only produced at the temperatures creating the principle
series. The principle series regains the continuum, (each value of hv)
at the energy of the ionization potential. Atomic gases under pressure
emit in continuos spectra all through their spectrum, and not only in
the energy terms of the ionization potential. Through this region of
visible light, the distribution of the energy obeys the Planck
Radiation Law if gases are in thermal equilibrium and not changing
temperature. The total energy of their radiation always obeys
Stefan-Boltzman however, for any temperature in fluctuating
temperature.

The main point is that the premise of grenhouse theory that the
atmosphere is transparent to thermal frequencies except for the
grenhouse gases is fallacious. Water vapor is not a grenhouse gas.
Water vapor clumps, and forms even droplets in the air. Because of the
great mass of these clumps, it affects even visible reds much more than
other gases, and even causes haze which is the affect of visible light.

Perhaps this can be discussed rationally, without the constant
rejoinder always added by the grenhouse believers, "and you're stupid
if you don't agree with what all the reasonable people agree to."

Kent Deatherage