From: Richard B. Gilbert on
John Navas wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:26:15 -0400, in
> <wKudnYfiq9aPoK7RnZ2dnUVZ_gydnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
> <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> John Navas wrote:
>
>>> Tempest in a teapot IMHO:
>>> Google data (e.g., Contacts) are been backed up in the cloud from day 1.
>>> It's quite easy to backup all user content on the SD card.
>>> Most people don't care enough to bother.
>> For some people, losing all the phone numbers and appointments stored in
>> their phones is a nuisance rather than a disaster. For others . . . .
>>
>> I was a computer system administrator for most of my working life. It
>> made me very aware of the value of backups!
>>
>> If losing the data stored in your phone would be a disaster, you should
>> be making disaster recovery plans! If you have no other means of doing
>> it, paper, pencil, and you, will get the job done. Making a copy on
>> your computer is usually more convenient.
>
> My Google Calendar is automatically backed up in the cloud as well,
> and like my Contacts, is automatically replicated on all my other
> devices, so I'm protected even if Google should have a very unlikely
> disaster.

Is it private? Secure? Maybe it is now but the history contains some
embarrassing incidents!
From: John Navas on
On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:35:35 -0400, in
<ZcydnSJK3YP-xq7RnZ2dnUVZ_hqdnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
<rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>John Navas wrote:

>> My Google Calendar is automatically backed up in the cloud as well,
>> and like my Contacts, is automatically replicated on all my other
>> devices, so I'm protected even if Google should have a very unlikely
>> disaster.
>
>Is it private? Secure? Maybe it is now but the history contains some
>embarrassing incidents!

I'm not terribly worried about my Google Contacts and Google Calendar.
I encrypt the things I do worry about.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: Justin on
John Navas wrote on [Tue, 06 Jul 2010 10:15:54 -0700]:
> On Tue, 06 Jul 2010 12:49:25 -0400, in
> <7q2dnYkRcuk9w67RnZ2dnUVZ_q2dnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
> <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:
>
>>John Navas wrote:
>
>>> But even with the opportunity they probably wouldn't have backed up.
>>> I don't know a single client or friend that would be backing up on their
>>> own.
>>
>>I guess your clients and friends aren't too bright!
>
> Normal average folks actually.
> They shouldn't have to be computer professionals to use computers.

True, but they should also know some basics before they start blaming
other people for their problems. Anyone I know who has lost data due to
not backing up now either thinks about backing up or backs up

> My usual advice to clients and friends is a USB hard drive.
> Windows now has excellent backup, so software isn't an issue.
> I offer to make it automatic, because they otherwise won't do it.
> Cloud computing is another good solution for many.

Using both is also a good idea, ask Francis Ford Coppola.

http://www.hollywood.com/news/Coppola_Lost_15_Years_of_Data_in_Burglary/4923741

Although Coppola has saved copies of the Tetro script elsewhere, on Friday he issued a plea for the return of a small computer backup device.

He said, "They stole our computers; they got all our data, many years of work. If I could get the backup back, it would save me years--all the photographs of my family, all my writing."

From: DevilsPGD on
In message <060720100718472068%nospam(a)nospam.invalid> nospam
<nospam(a)nospam.invalid> was claimed to have wrote:

>In article <rjc6365lj6p3tlpcdprk0oom8ghg4d9rhh(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
><spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Google data (e.g., Contacts) are been backed up in the cloud from day 1.
>
>assuming you want that data in the cloud, that's good.

Yes, it is.

>> It's quite easy to backup all user content on the SD card.
>> Most people don't care enough to bother.
>
>that's exactly why iphones back up *everything* automatically, without
>requiring the user or the app developer to do anything special. it's
>laughable that android doesn't, but at least they've added the
>capability in 2.2.

iPhones actually don't back up everything. Most things are backed up by
default though.

Applications can flag some content to avoid it being backed up. Which
makes sense for large/dynamic/frequently changing content that can be
re-retrieved from the internet. Google Reader clients, Instapaper,
Evernote, browser caches, etc have no need to have iTunes preserve
anything since the data is available from the net.

Another example is media, iTunes doesn't backup media at all, so as a
rule if you wipe your device you lose all the media on the device
(although iTunes will restore what it placed on the device, but if you
load music manually rather than synchronizing your entire library, you
get to restore what you want manually)
From: nospam on
In article <o0u636185pukl669208jrn4ou70p2129ou(a)4ax.com>, DevilsPGD
<Still-Just-A-Rat-In-A-Cage(a)crazyhat.net> wrote:

> iPhones actually don't back up everything. Most things are backed up by
> default though.

nearly everything.

> Applications can flag some content to avoid it being backed up. Which
> makes sense for large/dynamic/frequently changing content that can be
> re-retrieved from the internet. Google Reader clients, Instapaper,
> Evernote, browser caches, etc have no need to have iTunes preserve
> anything since the data is available from the net.

true. cached and temporary data is not backed up unless the app puts it
in the documents folder. that's not anything that needs to be backed up
since it can easily be duplicated, or it may no longer be valid, such
as with a browser cache, and it will need to be re-downloaded even if
it was restored.

> Another example is media, iTunes doesn't backup media at all, so as a
> rule if you wipe your device you lose all the media on the device
> (although iTunes will restore what it placed on the device,

the media is already backed up. what's on the iphone is a copy.

> but if you
> load music manually rather than synchronizing your entire library, you
> get to restore what you want manually)

true. that's what manual sync means :)