From: nospam on
In article <l5q2369aqetv0n7tj4v7so5k2ohkfuff95(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Big part of the reason the Droid is such a smash hit is the excellent
> radio performance, which is no surprise given Motorola's expertise.

actually it's because verizon was selling them two for one and that
there aren't many other android options on verizon.
From: Todd Allcock on
At 04 Jul 2010 07:39:34 -0700 John Navas wrote:

> >Thankfully, HTC includes a Field Test app with their devices. I'm
only a
> >few taps away from knowing what the score is, regardless of what the
bars
> >say.
>
> Yep -- HTC makes great phones, which is why Apple has decided it has to
> compete in court instead of just in the market. On my HTC phone: Menu >
> Settings > About phone > Status > Signal strength (currently -89 dBm 12
> asu).

In my experience, HTC makes mediocre phones, built-into decent mobile
computers. Sadly my Sony Xperia X1 is even more mediocre than usual.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 04 Jul 2010 18:05:14 -0700 DevilsPGD wrote:
> In message <sLTXn.8277$3%3.7081(a)newsfe23.iad> Todd Allcock
> <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> was claimed to have wrote:
>
> >A good cloud service, like Exchange, uses the cloud as an intermediary
> >between devices, as well as a backup. I sync two mobiles and three PCs
> >with my cloud service. If my provider crashes e or vaporates tomorrow,
> >my data is safe in five locations, any of which can restore the data to
> >another server/provider.
>
> Sidekick was similar, except that data was lost after a reboot.

Because the Sidekick had no PC (or internal) backup- it pulled data from
the server after every reboot.

> Although it's not as easy a reboot to lose your data in the event of an
> Exchange failure, if the Exchange server comes back up with a blank
> mailbox (using the same credentials) you'll lose all your data on the
> device. Even worse, should you attempt to remove the account from your
> device or change it to a new server, you'll again lose all your data.

Depending on the device, that's easily handled, though. Regular backups
solve it. When changing servers you simply back up PIM data, change
servers, then restore, syncing the data back to the server.

> The model of treating the server as authoritative is a good one in
> general (SyncML is an example of the disaster that happens without an
> authoritative owner) but it relies on the server administrators having
> proper backup procedures in place. This isn't too difficult (and is
> several orders of magnitude easier to implement than having ever user
> attempt to backup their own data)

I sort of like SyncML's nebulousness. The trick is to make one device
the authority at the initial setup- for example, sync to the SyncML
server from a single device or PC, then destructively sync (replace
device data with server data) all other devices. Then you can sync
everything from there out without major headaches.

From: Todd Allcock on
At 04 Jul 2010 18:10:34 -0700 John Navas wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Jul 2010 22:04:14 -0600, in
> <sLTXn.8277$3%3.7081(a)newsfe23.iad>, Todd Allcock
> <elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes, about a week after the server crash.
> >
> >Of course that didn't make as many headlines as the loss did! ;)
> >
> ><http://www.betanews.com/article/Microsoft-takes-credit-for-resolving-
> >Sidekick-data-loss-but-not-for-causing-it/1255618540>
> >
> >The real problem with the Sidekick's method of "cloud computing" was
that
> >there was essentially no local storage- the data was on the cloud and
> >phone only, with no backup.
>
> There was backup. There was also fault tolerance. The problem was
> incompetant administration by Microsoft, not the Danger technology.

It was both. There is no direct user backup with Danger/Sidekick- the
server is the authoritative store, and only "backup." You're relying on
the server to store your data.

> >A good cloud service, like Exchange, uses the cloud as an intermediary
> >between devices, as well as a backup. I sync two mobiles and three PCs
> >with my cloud service. If my provider crashes e or vaporates tomorrow,
> >my data is safe in five locations, any of which can restore the data to
> >another server/provider.
>
> It makes sense to maintain your own backup,
> just as it makes sense to replicate your backup in the cloud.

Except Sidekick users don't have those options. They can't make their
own backups, unless there are third party tools for that I'm unaware of.

From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:37:11 -0600, in
<RReYn.6067$Zi.3004(a)newsfe14.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>At 04 Jul 2010 18:10:34 -0700 John Navas wrote:

>> There was backup. There was also fault tolerance. The problem was
>> incompetant administration by Microsoft, not the Danger technology.
>
>It was both. There is no direct user backup with Danger/Sidekick- the
>server is the authoritative store, and only "backup." You're relying on
>the server to store your data.

The server was (a) fault tolerant and (b) backed up.
The fault was entirely Microsoft.

>> >A good cloud service, like Exchange, uses the cloud as an intermediary
>> >between devices, as well as a backup. I sync two mobiles and three PCs
>> >with my cloud service. If my provider crashes e or vaporates tomorrow,
>> >my data is safe in five locations, any of which can restore the data to
>> >another server/provider.
>>
>> It makes sense to maintain your own backup,
>> just as it makes sense to replicate your backup in the cloud.
>
>Except Sidekick users don't have those options. They can't make their
>own backups, unless there are third party tools for that I'm unaware of.

Which is why the Microsoft foulup was so intolerable.

--
John

If the iPhone and iPad are really so impressive,
then why do iFans keep making excuses for them?