From: nospam on
In article <nrn336po7i4brbjjspua7e5h1o0ptb0nli(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

> Android devices are easily backed up by the user locally (to SD) or over
> the air. "There's an app for that." But I'd guess(tm) the great
> majority of Android users will never do that, relying instead on Google
> sync (which I think a better bet than Microsoft) and on luck.

backing up user data on android is a *new* feature coming in 2.2. it's
mind-boggling how that was not included since day one.

relying on the user to manually do it means that it is likely to not be
done. some aspects of android, such as gmail, are cloud based but
that's not really a backup.

the iphone automatically backs everything up whenever it's synced. if
the user upgrades the firmware or switches devices, everything is
automatically restored.
From: Justin on
Larry wrote on [Mon, 05 Jul 2010 05:49:11 +0000]:
> Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in
>
>> Assuming the FCC want to make a substantial profit on this auction, it
>> would not make much sense for the broadcasters to sell.
>
> Huh?? The broadcasters don't own the frequencies they've been using since
> WW2. Those are all public airwaves. FCC doesn't need any permission as
> the broadcasters are slaves to the FCC, not the other way around....
>
> I think it should be a Federal felony to SELL the public's airwaves to
> anyone or any entity. What the hell are they gonna sell next, Yellowstone
> National Park?!

They should LEASE the airwaves, not sell them

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
nospam wrote:
> In article <nrn336po7i4brbjjspua7e5h1o0ptb0nli(a)4ax.com>, John Navas
> <spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:
>
>> Android devices are easily backed up by the user locally (to SD) or over
>> the air. "There's an app for that." But I'd guess(tm) the great
>> majority of Android users will never do that, relying instead on Google
>> sync (which I think a better bet than Microsoft) and on luck.
>
> backing up user data on android is a *new* feature coming in 2.2. it's
> mind-boggling how that was not included since day one.
>
> relying on the user to manually do it means that it is likely to not be
> done. some aspects of android, such as gmail, are cloud based but
> that's not really a backup.

If the user doesn't make a backup somehow, he will sooner or later
regret it! That backup should preferably be on a device owned and
controlled by the user. Still almost any backup is better than none!

<snip>
From: Jeff Liebermann on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:52:25 -0700, John Navas
<spamfilter1(a)navasgroup.com> wrote:

>><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NextWave_Wireless>
>><http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-653.ZO.html>
>
>Like it or not, that's how bankruptcy works. It was an asset of the
>estate. The same thing would have applied for *any* asset purchased but
>not yet fully paid for -- prior owners (owners no longer) of those
>assets become *creditors*, and without some sort of security agreement,
>just *unsecured* creditors (at the end of the line). I haven't read the
>case, but my guess(tm) is that the FCC was effectively claiming some
>sort of bankruptcy exemption, which is why it lost.

Correct. From the majority decision:
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-653.ZO.html>
the D. C. Circuit held, that the FCC�s revocation of its
licenses was not in accordance with �525 of the Bankruptcy Code.
Section 525(a) provides, in relevant part:
"[A] governmental unit may not ... revoke ... a license ... to
... a person that is ... a debtor under this title ... solely
because such ... debtor ... has not paid a debt that is
dischargeable in the case under this title."

The sole dissenting opinion notes that the original terms of payment
to the FCC included a clause specifically returning the licenses to
the FCC in the event of non-payment:
<http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-653.ZD.html>
It promised to pay the money under an installment plan.
It agreed that its possession of the licenses was "conditioned
upon full and timely payment," that failure to pay would result
in the licenses� "automatic cancellation," that the Government
would maintain a "fi[r]st lien on and continuing security
interest" in the licenses, and that it would "not dispute" the
Government�s "rights as a secured party."

Whichever point of view you favor, it doesn't mater. My point was
that the FCC currently cannot do anything it pleases with the
auctioned frequencies. In addition, the USA is a member of the
ITU/WRC, which sets world wide usage for radio spectrum. While there
are plenty of anomalies, the process of "harmonizing" the allocations
and rules has been moving along nicely in the EU and slooooly in the
USA. The USA is sufficiently isolated from the rest of the world
(except for Canada and Mexico) on cellular frequencies that
interference should not be an issue unless deployed for satellite
service. Still, the ITU/WRC will need to investigate any interference
potential, which will take some time.

>>Roll forward to 2004, and Nextwave sells most of the spectrum to
>>various cellular providers for a substantial profit. Some of the
>>proceeds went to the FCC to pay off the 1996 spectrum auction.
>><http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3343541/FCCNextWave-Deal-to-Free-Up-Spectrum.htm>
>>
>>Now, tell me again how the FCC can do anything they want with the
>>peoples frequencies?
>
>That example proves only how bankruptcy works, and the FCC might well
>have avoided the problem by writing a proper security agreement.

They did have the proper security clauses in the auction terms. See
above quotation as in "conditional upon full and timely payment". That
is a standard clause in any such sales, leases, and rentals.
(No pay, no play). However, the Supremes decided that bankruptcy law
supercedes contract law. For a literal interpretation, this is
correct.

For FCC licenses, there is also a performance clause, which demands
the return of the licenses should the winner decide to do nothing
within some time period (use it or lose it). However, that clause is
being ignored by the FCC to avoid the inevitable court battle.

Rhetorical questions: If I buy on credit some real estate, some stock
on margin, a new car, use my credit card wildly, and then declare
bankruptcy, what happens to the property, stock, car, and junk? As I
understand it, the bankruptcy administrator will declare those as
being un-necessary for my continued survival, and return them to the
creditors. It's not a difficult concept to appreciate. So, why
didn't the government bankruptcy court for Nextwave not do the same
thing with the licenses? At the same time (1997), Pocket Comm and DCR
PCS went Chapter 11, and made a deal with the FCC for the return of
the licenses in exchange for some of the deposit money. Why didn't
Nextwave do the same?

--
Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
From: Peter Pan on
"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote in message

> If the user doesn't make a backup somehow, he will sooner or later regret
> it! That backup should preferably be on a device owned and controlled by
> the user. Still almost any backup is better than none!
>
> <snip>

there is an old saying in data processing circles, there are two types of
users.. those that have lost data and those that will :)