From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 06:34:45 -0600, in
<mKkYn.9497$3%3.3971(a)newsfe23.iad>, Todd Allcock
<elecconnec(a)AnoOspamL.com> wrote:

>I'm not arguing with any of that- I'm just saying any server-based system
>that doesn't let me also backup my data locally if I choose, is
>fundamentally flawed.

If it won't let us do whatever we need or want -- I don't know one way
or the other -- then for us it is fundamentally flawed, and we shouldn't
use it.

But it's not fundamentally flawed for those who lack the skill or desire
to backup themselves, which I'd guess(tm) is the great majority of the
target market -- for them it's well-designed, and ultimately worked as
intended.

>Danger's accident-waiting-to-happen met
>Microsoft's best accident facilitators and disaster ensued. On any other
>platform, (except maybe Android, and Microsoft's Kin, the latest version
>of Sidekick) I could disconnect from the server completely, use locally
>stored data only, and ride out the outage.

Android devices are easily backed up by the user locally (to SD) or over
the air. "There's an app for that." But I'd guess(tm) the great
majority of Android users will never do that, relying instead on Google
sync (which I think a better bet than Microsoft) and on luck.

--
John

"Assumption is the mother of all screw ups."
[Wethern�s Law of Suspended Judgement]
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 05:49:11 +0000, in
<Xns9DAC1275F95ABnoonehomecom(a)74.209.131.13>, Larry <noone(a)home.com>
wrote:

>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in
>
>> Assuming the FCC want to make a substantial profit on this auction, it
>> would not make much sense for the broadcasters to sell.
>
>Huh?? The broadcasters don't own the frequencies they've been using since
>WW2. Those are all public airwaves. FCC doesn't need any permission as
>the broadcasters are slaves to the FCC, not the other way around....
>
>I think it should be a Federal felony to SELL the public's airwaves to
>anyone or any entity. What the hell are they gonna sell next, Yellowstone
>National Park?!
>
>It's not theirs to sell, dammit. It's OURS.

Actually it is, because they is us.

--
John

"We have met the enemy and he is us" -Pogo
From: John Navas on
On Sun, 04 Jul 2010 23:48:26 -0700, in
<7mu2361eth4b21m084h0aoir6h9epmhqj4(a)4ax.com>, Jeff Liebermann
<jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote:

>On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 05:49:11 +0000, Larry <noone(a)home.com> wrote:
>
>>Jeff Liebermann <jeffl(a)cruzio.com> wrote in
>>
>>> Assuming the FCC want to make a substantial profit on this auction, it
>>> would not make much sense for the broadcasters to sell.
>>
>>Huh?? The broadcasters don't own the frequencies they've been using since
>>WW2. Those are all public airwaves. FCC doesn't need any permission as
>>the broadcasters are slaves to the FCC, not the other way around....
>>
>>I think it should be a Federal felony to SELL the public's airwaves to
>>anyone or any entity. What the hell are they gonna sell next, Yellowstone
>>National Park?!
>>
>>It's not theirs to sell, dammit. It's OURS.
>
>Welcome to the Peoples Republic of USA. All your bases belong to us.
>
>In 1996, Nextwave won a digital cellular spectrum auction. They paid
>a down payment, and immediately defaulted on the remaining $4.7
>billion. Nextwave never used the frequencies for anything. The FCC
>decided that non-payment was sufficient grounds for revoking their
>license. The issue went to the Supreme Court, which inexplicably
>ruled that Nextwave has some kind of right to the frequency and that
>the FCC could not revoke the license or re-auction the frequencies
>while Nextwave was in bankruptcy. Essentially, the Supremes gave
>Nextwave the right to resell the licenses for which they hadn't paid.
><http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NextWave_Wireless>
><http://www.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/01-653.ZO.html>

Like it or not, that's how bankruptcy works. It was an asset of the
estate. The same thing would have applied for *any* asset purchased but
not yet fully paid for -- prior owners (owners no longer) of those
assets become *creditors*, and without some sort of security agreement,
just *unsecured* creditors (at the end of the line). I haven't read the
case, but my guess(tm) is that the FCC was effectively claiming some
sort of bankruptcy exemption, which is why it lost.

>Roll forward to 2004, and Nextwave sells most of the spectrum to
>various cellular providers for a substantial profit. Some of the
>proceeds went to the FCC to pay off the 1996 spectrum auction.
><http://www.internetnews.com/xSP/article.php/3343541/FCCNextWave-Deal-to-Free-Up-Spectrum.htm>
>
>Now, tell me again how the FCC can do anything they want with the
>peoples frequencies?

That example proves only how bankruptcy works, and the FCC might well
have avoided the problem by writing a proper security agreement.

From: Richard B. Gilbert on
atec7 7 > wrote:
> David wrote:
>> In article <elmop-1ABEE8.20595403072010(a)62-183-169-81.bb.dnainternet.fi>,
>> "Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop(a)nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>>> I bet you haven't actually logged and tracked your experiences.
>>>
>>> Your phone will go from 3 bars to no bars sitting on a table, not
>>> moving, with NO ONE touching it. Case or no case.
>>>
>>> It has nothing to do with you and how you hold the phone, and
>>> everything to do with....AT&T.
>>
>> Gee whiz I doubt that. Considering I am thousands of KM away from
>> them living in the land of Oz I think it more likely it is to do with
>> the design of the phone.
>>
>> And with laying down it doesn't change
>>
>> David - who wonders where people get such strange ideas from...
> Both my Lg and HTC phones woop the 4 phone on transmission and currently
> the few aps I use on my normal phones are free . no thanks apple it's a
> dud imho

"Woop the 4 phone"??????

Please provide a translation to English.
From: John Navas on
On Mon, 05 Jul 2010 10:24:34 -0400, in
<rOGdnTZNF6CxdqzRnZ2dnUVZ_gudnZ2d(a)giganews.com>, "Richard B. Gilbert"
<rgilbert88(a)comcast.net> wrote:

>atec7 7 > wrote:
>> David wrote:

>>> Gee whiz I doubt that. Considering I am thousands of KM away from
>>> them living in the land of Oz I think it more likely it is to do with
>>> the design of the phone.
>>>
>>> And with laying down it doesn't change
>>>
>>> David - who wonders where people get such strange ideas from...
>> Both my Lg and HTC phones woop the 4 phone on transmission and currently
>> the few aps I use on my normal phones are free . no thanks apple it's a
>> dud imho
>
>"Woop the 4 phone"??????
>
>Please provide a translation to English.

whup the iPhone 4