From: haiku jones on
On Nov 17, 9:11 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> haiku jones wrote:

> >> The idea of a hidden variable is a grammatical consequence of any
> >> quantum theory, as I argued.
>

> > Alas, the universe disagrees.
>

> Fine. Oh great. I'll tell my mum.

Better yet, write it up for _Annalen der Physik_.
Convince the readers of that rag, and there's
a Nobel Prize in it for you. Guaranteed.

Haiku Jones

From: haiku jones on
On Nov 17, 9:10 pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> Marshall wrote:
> > On Nov 15, 11:45 am, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
> >> Quantum mechanics employs everyday terms to support its mathematical
> >> structure. My complaint, a valid one, is that these terms are no longer
> >> employed with their standard meanings, thus making Quantum theory
> >> meaningfully vacuous.
>
> > That's obviously bullshit.
>
> It's obviously NOT. It's self-evident. Look at it! am I talking to Mr.
> stupido? If you describe something in non-meaningful terms then it is
> meaningfully vacuous. Comprende?
>
> > If attempting to use a word in more than
> > one way were to be any impediment to meaning, then nothing
> > would mean anything. Every word is used more than one way;
>
> No. So far wrong it's a long time getting back.
> A word is a sign. The sign does not have a meaning. The meaning we
> 'give' the sign is nothing that the sign displays to us.

Of course...and that in no way contradicts his assertion that
words can be given more than one meaning (and in English
at least, most are). A chemist and I can give "mole" one
meaning and a vertebrate biologist and I can give it another
meaning. And practitioners of each field would know what
I was talking about, know it to a degree of specificity
not usually found in casual conversation.

Haiku Jones

From: Christopher A. Lee on
On Wed, 18 Nov 2009 06:02:48 -0800 (PST), haiku jones
<575jones(a)gmail.com> wrote:

>On Nov 17, 9:10�pm, John Jones <jonescard...(a)btinternet.com> wrote:
>> Marshall wrote:
>>
>> > That's obviously bullshit.
>>
>> It's obviously NOT.
>
>It obviously is. If I use the noun "set", it can mean
>one thing to a mathematician, another thing to
>a tennis pro, a third to a theatrical designer,
>and a fourth to a dog breeder. None of
>these is "meaningfully vacuous", you just have
>to derive the current meaning from the current
>context -- something speakers of English do
>all day long, generally effortlessly, unless they
>happen to wander into an area in which they
>are technically ignorant.

Like Christians telling atheists what our POV "really" is.

Which isn't just ignorant, it's arrogant and sociopathic.

From: James Burns on
John Jones wrote:
> [...]
>> there are still different times of decay for the atom
>> in different possible worlds. HOWEVER, if we, in our
>> imaginations, mark the time of the decay on the box
>> (our hidden variable -- hidden because it plays no
>> part in the physics, being imaginary), then we can
>> further subdivide the possible worlds so that boxes
>> marked with the same time are grouped together.
>> Presto! The outcome is no longer random, because
>> these groups of possible worlds all have single outcomes
>> (the atom decays at the same time in each possible
>> world -- /within each subgroup/, that is).
>>
>> Under this view, I suppose there is no quantum
>> randomness, but there is no randomness either,
>> nor any probability except 0 and 100%. There are no
>> uncertain outcomes because every outcome will be what
>> it will be, tautologically. I don't know, but this
>> view may be logically consistent, but it seems to
>> me completely useless. It certainly isn't physics.
>>
>> (2) We have almost the same situation as before:
>> a box around the space-time just before the decay
>> of the atom, a collection of all the possible worlds
>> where the contents are identical. Except that, under
>> this view, in stead of marking the time of decay
>> on the outside of the box, it's placed inside the
>> box, inside a lockbox, let us say, so that we know
>> it can't be used in the processes leading to the outcome.
>>
>> I think this might qualify as a physical theory,
>> but this is also the sort of situation that
>> Bell's theorem applies to. It doesn't matter that
>> the decay time written inside the lockbox does
>> not participate. The theorem does not ask whether
>> a particular parameter /participates/, just as the
>> theorem does not ask whether /we know the value of/ a
>> particular parameter.
>>
>>> 3) If you believe that this would violate QM,
>>> then you should be able to describe a hypothetical
>>> experiment whose outcome would be different
>>> if my proposed conjecture is incorrect.
>>
>> I think the experimental verification of quantum mechanics
>> over local reality are what you are asking for. If you
>> are considering scenario 2 above, then you are trying
>> to fix local reality by partitioning the possible worlds
>> finely enough that the outcome appears non-random.
>>
>> I don't think local reality is fixable.
>>
>>> It seems to me that the best argument against
>>> what I am suggesting is that it is not parsimonious,
>>> but I'm not even sure that such a position holds up.
>>> As I said in the first place, this is a question
>>> of language and philosophy, not physics. I find
>>> the use of decay as the knee-jerk example to explain
>>> randomness to be facile.
>>
>> If what you describe is only a question of
>> language and philosophy, then maybe my first
>> interpretation is the correct one. If that is so,
>> then the point you are making is that it is
>> possible to change the meaning of
>> "quantum randomness" so that what you have
>> turned it into does not exist.
>> I don't find that a very interesting point.

> YOu never read the original post did you.

Would that be a problem for you?
I just assumed from your peculiar style that
you wanted to drive potential readers away.

However, it just so happens that I did read your
original post, and my post just upthread serves as
my answer to you, possibly better than it did as an
answer to tg.

Do you have any problems with my proposed definitions
of randomness and quantum randomness? No?

Then, your "argument" is just the assertion
that if we knew everything about a quantum system,
then we would be able to predict with certainty
the outcome of quantum measurements.

Yours is a coherent, sensible claim, that could
have turned out to be true. In fact, Einstein,
Podolsky,and Rosen expected it to turn out
to be true. However, it did not: your assertion
is false. That is why we have all this talk about
Bell's theorem and tests of quantum mechanics
against local reality. This is how we know your
assertion is false.

By the way, I think I heard that John Bell himself
expected his theorem to prove EPR /right/. If the
unexpressed part of your argument is "You all
have to be wrong; that just doesn't make sense",
then you will have a lot of agreement on the second
part. Quantum mechanics does not make sense.
Nonetheless, quantum mechanics is right, and
the assumptions of local reality and you are wrong.

Jim Burns

:What I am going to tell you about is what
:we teach our physics students in the third
:or fourth year of graduate school... It is
:my task to convince you not to turn away
:because you don't understand it. You see
:my physics students don't understand it.
:... That is because I don't understand it.
:Nobody does.
-- Richard P. Feynman, Nobel Lecture, 1966

From: Jesse F. Hughes on
David C. Ullrich <dullrich(a)sprynet.com> writes:

[To John Jones]
> Sometimes you seem stupid.

Yeah, sometimes.

--
Jesse F. Hughes
"I love Mathematics[...] She doesn't care about my feelings, or my