From: Stephen Powell on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:08:55 -0400 (EDT), jeremy jozwik wrote:

> im guessing i need to remove group [ which is empty ] and rename
> group- to be the group file.
>
> correct?

Oh, wait, did you say that the group file is *empty*! (i.e., a file
with zero byte size)!

*That* could be a problem. On my systems, I have both an /etc/group
and an /etc/group- file, and they are almost identical. (They differ
by one line.) Try copying "/etc/group-" to "/etc/group". (Do this
as root.) Then change the file permissions of /etc/group to
-rw-r--r-- (644). Then shutdown and reboot. I wonder what happened
to your /etc/group file? That's very strange! You didn't accidentally
erase it, did you?

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:25:45 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 11:52:18 -0400 (EDT), jeremy jozwik wrote:

>> # /etc/fstab: static file system information. #
>> <pass> proc /proc proc
>> defaults
>> 0 0
>> /dev/sda1 / ext3 errors=remount-ro 0
>> 1
>> /dev/sda5 none swap sw
>> 0 0
>> /dev/hda /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0
>> 0
>>

>> so, none of the media that i plug in is listed here. perhaps that is
>> because i always use the hotplug?
>
> It would be interesting to see what Camaleón's /etc/fstab file looks
> like in comparison with yours. Camaleón, are you listening? And would
> you be willing to post your /etc/fstab file?

Yep, here I am.

My "fstab":

***
sm01(a)stt008:~$ cat /etc/fstab
#
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
/dev/sda3 / reiserfs notail 0 1
/dev/sda1 none swap sw 0 0
/dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
/dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
/dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
***

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:35:08 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 12:25:45 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:
>> It would be interesting to see what Camaleón's /etc/fstab file looks
>> like in comparison with yours. Camaleón, are you listening? And would
>> you be willing to post your /etc/fstab file?
>
> Yep, here I am.
>
> My "fstab":
>
> ***
> sm01(a)stt008:~$ cat /etc/fstab
> # /etc/fstab: static file system information.
> #
> proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda3 / reiserfs notail 0 1
> /dev/sda1 none swap sw 0 0
> /dev/scd0 /media/cdrom0 udf,iso9660 user,noauto 0 0
> /dev/fd0 /media/floppy0 auto rw,user,noauto 0 0
> /dev/sdb1 /data/backup ext3 acl,user_xattr 1 2
> ***

Well, I see three entries with the "user" option, but none of them
appear to be related to mount points for USB devices. It would appear
that some sort of system daemon with root privileges is issuing the
actual "mount" and "umount" commands. The hot-plug event causes the
mount; so the system doesn't associate that with any particular user.
(How does it know who plugged the device in? It doesn't!) But the
umount is requested by a specific user through a desktop icon.

Perhaps the system daemon that I speak of is D-Bus, and it decides
whether or not to allow the umount depending on what group(s) the
user belongs to. And his missing /etc/group file is probably the key.

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 13:07:46 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 12:35:08 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

>> My "fstab":

(...)

> Well, I see three entries with the "user" option, but none of them
> appear to be related to mount points for USB devices. It would appear
> that some sort of system daemon with root privileges is issuing the
> actual "mount" and "umount" commands. The hot-plug event causes the
> mount; so the system doesn't associate that with any particular user.
> (How does it know who plugged the device in? It doesn't!) But the
> umount is requested by a specific user through a desktop icon.

Note the device "mount" options, automatically added by hal:

***
/dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)
***

nosuid, nodev, uhelper=hal, uid=1000

Maybe the perms of the OP's device are wrong :-?

> Perhaps the system daemon that I speak of is D-Bus, and it decides
> whether or not to allow the umount depending on what group(s) the user
> belongs to. And his missing /etc/group file is probably the key.

We still don't know if "umount" works when logged with another user in a
GNOME session :-?

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> We still don't know if "umount" works when logged with another user in a
> GNOME session :-?

will have to set that up when i return home tonight.