From: Stephen Powell on
On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:51:31 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:

> Note the device "mount" options, automatically added by hal:
>
> ***
> /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)
> ***

I didn't see that in your /etc/fstab file, Camaleón. Where did this come from?
(Pardon my ignorance; but as I said before, I never use USB hot plug and I am
largely ignorant of this subject. I know a few things about the regular mount
and umount commands issued from a shell prompt. But this hotplug stuff is new to me.)

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Tue, 06 Apr 2010 16:22:19 -0400, Stephen Powell wrote:

> On Tue, 6 Apr 2010 13:51:31 -0400 (EDT), Camaleón wrote:
>>
>> Note the device "mount" options, automatically added by hal:
>>
>> ***
>> /dev/sdc1 on /media/disk type vfat
>> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000) ***
>
> I didn't see that in your /etc/fstab file, Camaleón. Where did this
> come from? (Pardon my ignorance; but as I said before, I never use USB
> hot plug and I am largely ignorant of this subject. I know a few things
> about the regular mount and umount commands issued from a shell prompt.
> But this hotplug stuff is new to me.)

Nothing to pardon :-)

That was the output of the "mount" command I sent in an early post, just
after I plugged the USB key.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 7:51 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman
<sjoerd(a)lorentz.leidenuniv.nl> wrote:
> For a regular user, you need to be in the plugdev group to mount and
> unmount.

# adduser po plugdev
The user `po' is already a member of `plugdev'.

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
> Oh, wait, did you say that the group file is *empty*! (i.e., a file
> with zero byte size)!

so get this. yesterday that file was entirely empty. today... looks
just like group-
maybe thats because i looked at it after the step above?

On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> We still don't know if "umount" works when logged with another user in a
> GNOME session :-?

made a new user, made sure that the user is part of the plugdev group.

$ umount /dev/sdb1
umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount
umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount

that was done under the new user login, not root. along with that
"right click-unmount" on the media icon in GNOME results in nothing.
no error, no unmounting.

looking around some more...

/dev/ ownerships.
# ls -l
[snip]
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 1 2010-04-07 07:06 sda1
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 2 2010-04-07 07:06 sda2
brw-rw---- 1 root disk 8, 5 2010-04-07 07:06 sda5
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 16 2010-04-07 07:40 sdb
brw-rw---- 1 root floppy 8, 17 2010-04-07 07:40 sdb1

/mnt/ ownerships
# ls -l
total 8
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2009-10-09 08:03 KFP320
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 2010-04-05 19:58 video

are those correct? should a regular user have rights for the /dev/ folders?

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:30:42 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Camaleón wrote:
>> We still don't know if "umount" works when logged with another user in
>> a GNOME session :-?
>
> made a new user, made sure that the user is part of the plugdev group.

First, check the device perms with "mount" command and put here the
results.

> $ umount /dev/sdb1
> umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount umount: /dev/sdb1: not
> mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount

So same message you got with your usual user :-/

> that was done under the new user login, not root. along with that "right
> click-unmount" on the media icon in GNOME results in nothing. no error,
> no unmounting.

Mmmm, no error message in linux uses to mean the operation was performed
"ok". Only "errors" are displayed to the user. So after clicking "umount"
on device icon, check the device status with "mount" command.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón