From: Stephen Powell on
On Wed, 7 Apr 2010 10:30:42 -0400 (EDT), jeremy jozwik wrote:
> # adduser po plugdev
> The user `po' is already a member of `plugdev'.
>
> On Tue, Apr 6, 2010 at 9:36 AM, Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com> wrote:
>> Oh, wait, did you say that the group file is *empty*! (i.e., a file
>> with zero byte size)!
>
> so get this. yesterday that file was entirely empty. today... looks
> just like group-
> maybe thats because i looked at it after the step above?

Don't know. Could be. I'm just relieved that you haven't lost your
group information!

> $ umount /dev/sdb1
> umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount
> umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
> umount: /media/video: must be superuser to umount
>
> that was done under the new user login, not root.

For a mount/umount command issued from the shell prompt, I would not
have expected this to work, based on the /etc/fstab file you posted
earlier. There is no rule for /dev/sb1.

> Along with that "right click-unmount" on the media icon in GNOME
> results in nothing. no error, no unmounting.

Others are going to have to help with the GNOME part of it.
This is beyond my area of expertise.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell <zlinuxman(a)wowway.com>
: :' :

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 7:46 AM, Camaleón <noelamac(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> First, check the device perms with "mount" command and put here the
> results.

> Mmmm, no error message in linux uses to mean the operation was performed
> "ok". Only "errors" are displayed to the user. So after clicking "umount"
> on device icon, check the device status with "mount" command.

potest(a)mobildebian:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/video type vfat (rw) < drive trying to unmount

potest(a)mobildebian:~$ umount /dev/sdb1
umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
umount: /mnt/video: must be superuser to umount
umount: /dev/sdb1: not mounted
umount: /mnt/video: must be superuser to umount

after "right click > unmount"

potest(a)mobildebian:~$ mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sdb1 on /mnt/video type vfat (rw) < drive still there...

getting more interesting at every attempt...

step 1.
# mount
/dev/sda1 on / type ext3 (rw,errors=remount-ro)
tmpfs on /lib/init/rw type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,mode=0755)
proc on /proc type proc (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
sysfs on /sys type sysfs (rw,noexec,nosuid,nodev)
procbususb on /proc/bus/usb type usbfs (rw)
udev on /dev type tmpfs (rw,mode=0755)
tmpfs on /dev/shm type tmpfs (rw,nosuid,nodev)
devpts on /dev/pts type devpts (rw,noexec,nosuid,gid=5,mode=620)
/dev/sdb1 on /media/video type vfat
(rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)

step 2.
GNOME right click > unmount. error shows

step 3.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:41:06 -0700, jeremy jozwik wrote:

> getting more interesting at every attempt...
>
> step 1.
> # mount

(...)

/dev/sdb1 on /media/video type vfat
> (rw,nosuid,nodev,uhelper=hal,shortname=lower,uid=1000)

O.k. That seems now reasonable :-)

> step 2.
> GNOME right click > unmount. error shows

Yep. I told you that some devices display this message. It happens to me
*always* with my mobile phone. It does not happen with standard usb flash
disk, though.

> step 3.
> # mount

(...)

Which means it has been umounted.

I get the same behaviour than you, but only when I attach a special
device (GNOME recognizes the mobile phone as some kind of music stuff).

Try this:

1/ Plug on the device
2/ Type mount (to get the device listed)
3/ Type "umount /media/video" (adjust the command to point the right path)
4/ Type "mount"

With these steps I get no pop-up or warning messages and the device gets
umounted normally.

Greetings,

--
Camaleón