From: Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. on
On Wednesday 14 July 2010 10:52:57 Johnny wrote:
> I am sorry if someone has already has asked this ? on the list
> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
> I use my computer daily

Are you happy with Lenny? Are you using lenny-backports?

If you are happy with Lenny and are not using lenny-backports, the I'd stick
with Lenny (at least) until release time.

If you are using lenny-backports, you should upgrade as soon as Squeeze is
released. After the release, lenny-backports may not have a clean upgrade
path to Squeeze / squeeze-backports.
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
From: Paul Cartwright on
On Mon July 19 2010, you wrote:
> You should assume you are using lenny-backports.
I am, I have this in my sources.list file:
deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free

> It is possible you do not have any software installed from that repository,
> which means it would not affect your upgrade.  The assumption that you are
> using it is safer though.
how would I know?

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

On Monday 19 July 2010 15:09:58 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> On Mon July 19 2010, you wrote:
> > You should assume you are using lenny-backports.
>
> I am, I have this in my sources.list file:
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian lenny-backports main contrib non-free
>
> > It is possible you do not have any software installed from that
> > repository, which means it would not affect your upgrade. The
> > assumption that you are using it is safer though.
>
> how would I know?

printf 'You are ' && { [ $(aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports' | wc -l)
-lt 1 ] || printf 'not '; } && printf 'using lenny-backports.\n'
From: Paul Cartwright on
On Tue July 20 2010, you wrote:
> > $ printf 'You are ' && \
> >
> > > {
> > >
> > >         [ $(aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports' | wc -l) -ge 1 ]
> > >
> > > } && \
> > > printf 'using lenny-backports.\n'
> >
> > You are using lenny-backports.

> The script takes that output and runs it through "wc -l" to count the
> number of lines (packages).  It that's less than (-lt) 1, i.e. 0, it
> negates the sentence being output.

so if I wanted the LIST of packages that I have installed using backports, it
would be like this?

$ aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports'
i libmysqlclient-dev - MySQL database development files
i A libmysqlclient16 - MySQL database client library
i libv4l-0 - Collection of video4linux support
librarie
i A mysql-common - MySQL database common files,
e.g. /etc/mys

On Tuesday 20 July 2010 03:56:08 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> so if I wanted the LIST of packages that I have installed using backports,
> it would be like this?
>
> $ aptitude search '~S ~i ~Alenny-backports'
> i libmysqlclient-dev - MySQL database development files
> i A libmysqlclient16 - MySQL database client library
> i libv4l-0 - Collection of video4linux support
> librarie
> i A mysql-common - MySQL database common files,
> e.g. /etc/mys

Yes.

Note that a "simple" query like that (e.g. (aptitude search '~S ~i
~Aunstable')) doesn't necessarily work with a mixed testing/unstable (or more
complex) system, since package versions can be available from multiple
archives. The backports project has a naming policy in place so their package
versions are never the same as an official package version, so this simple
query works as is.

I tend to use queries like this on my mixed system to determine how far I've
drifted from stable. Right now, on my laptop, 686/1312 packages are from
stable, 100/1312 are from backports, and 526/1312 are from testing. Once I'm
running "mostly" testing, I'll probably just read the current draft of the
release notes and do an upgrade at that time.

It looks like that might be soon, too. ghc6 is having fits compiling my code
that uses the HDBC-PostgreSQL package and I think it might be do to some
change in symbol generation or mangling between gcc-4.3.2 (stable, currently
installed) and gcc-4.4.4 (testing, and what ghc6 and libghc6-* packages are
compiled with).
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. ,= ,-_-. =.
bss(a)iguanasuicide.net ((_/)o o(\_))
ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy `-'(. .)`-'
http://iguanasuicide.net/ \_/
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6
Prev: Add audio to home video in Lenny?