From: Johnny on
Hi
I am sorry if someone has already has asked this ? on the list
When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
I use my computer daily

Johnny

On Wed, 14 Jul 2010 12:22:11 -0400 (EDT), Jordan Metzmeier wrote:
> On 07/14/2010 11:52 AM, Johnny wrote:
>> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
>> I use my computer daily
>
> After squeeze becomes the stable release and lenny becomes old stable.
> At this time, there will be squeeze release notes detailing the upgrade
> process.

I tend to agree. I know from painful experience that doing an upgrade
by "winging it", can sometimes leave one with a broken system. Following
the release notes is important. And the release notes are usually not
up to date until the release becomes the stable release. If you must
upgrade sooner, you can usually, but not always, follow the release notes
from the previous release, but there is usually a wrinkle or two that
is unique to the current release. I know, for example, that there will
be boot loader issues involving hook scripts, etc. And these are not
documented in the Lenny release notes.

--
.''`. Stephen Powell
: :' :

Stephen Powell put forth on 7/14/2010 12:28 PM:

> I know, for example, that there will
> be boot loader issues involving hook scripts, etc. And these are not
> documented in the Lenny release notes.

Stephen, I found the following somewhat related information a bit refreshing.
I'm hoping it's a sign that lilo may be kept in the distro after all. /me
crosses fingers

From: http://www.debian.org/News/2010/20100626

Kernel Updates

The kernel images included in this point release incorporate a number of
important and security-related fixes together with support for additional
hardware.

On the amd64 and i386 architectures, support has been re-introduced for
automatically running the lilo bootloader when a kernel image is added,
updated or removed in order to ensure that this is correctly registered with
the bootloader.

--
Stan

Johnny:

On Wednesday 14 July 2010 17:52:57 Johnny wrote:
> Hi
> I am sorry if someone has already has asked this ? on the list
> When is best time to upgrade from lenny to squeeze.
> I use my computer daily

What do you mean by "best"? Maybe what is "best" for you is not "best" for
others.

That's the real concern.

Cheers.

 |  Next  |  Last