From: Lisi on
On Wednesday 21 July 2010 10:13:10 Paul Cartwright wrote:
> in
> squeeze is KDE changed to KDE4 ?

Yes - which is why I am still running Lenny.

Lisi

Paul Cartwright schreef:
> On Wed July 21 2010, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>> In squeeze, they shipped a dkms-version of the nvidia drivers, and it
>> actually works. I've updated my kernel quite a few times and didn't had
>> to do any 'm-a a-i nvidia'.
>> Does your network card also require some alternative driver?
>>
> well, not alternate driver, just nvidia, as in the NOT-FREE driver. I have
> been using sgfxi to install my drivers, the last few upgrades. But there
> hasn't been an upgrade in a while, at least I don't remember one messing up
> my video setup.
> But that is good to know, thanks! Do you run gnome or KDE? just curious, in
> squeeze is KDE changed to KDE4 ? my wife still runs KDE3 and it would be a
> real shock for her to have to switch to KDE4.. I run gnome myself.
I run KDE, and am quite happy with KDE4 (at version 4.4 now). Yet,
opinions differ, so your wife has to find out if KDE4 suits her or not.
Of course, staying with Lenny for KDE3 is only a short term solution. In
the long run, you'll either have to accept KDE4 or use the fork of KDE
3.5 at http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/.

Sjoerd

From: Jordon Bedwell on

On Jul 21, 2010, at 4:45 AM, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:

> Paul Cartwright schreef:
>> On Wed July 21 2010, Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
>>> In squeeze, they shipped a dkms-version of the nvidia drivers, and it
>>> actually works. I've updated my kernel quite a few times and didn't had
>>> to do any 'm-a a-i nvidia'.
>>> Does your network card also require some alternative driver?
>>>
>> well, not alternate driver, just nvidia, as in the NOT-FREE driver. I have been using sgfxi to install my drivers, the last few upgrades. But there hasn't been an upgrade in a while, at least I don't remember one messing up my video setup.
>> But that is good to know, thanks! Do you run gnome or KDE? just curious, in squeeze is KDE changed to KDE4 ? my wife still runs KDE3 and it would be a real shock for her to have to switch to KDE4.. I run gnome myself.
> I run KDE, and am quite happy with KDE4 (at version 4.4 now). Yet, opinions differ, so your wife has to find out if KDE4 suits her or not.
> Of course, staying with Lenny for KDE3 is only a short term solution. In the long run, you'll either have to accept KDE4 or use the fork of KDE 3.5 at http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/.
>
> Sjoerd

Could you not just hold back the KDE3 to KDE4 upgrade when you upgrade Debian?

On Jul 21, 2010, at 5:33 AM, Paul Cartwright wrote:

> On Wed July 21 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
>> Could you not just hold back the KDE3 to KDE4 upgrade when you upgrade
>> Debian?
>
> the problem is applications that require KDE4 libs.. I've already run into
> that more than once.In the end, I'm sure I will have to upgrade to KDE4, but
> I know my wife won't be happy for a while...
>
> --
> Paul Cartwright
> Registered Linux user # 367800
> Registered Ubuntu User #12459

This reminds me of when they started messing with GNOME and started switching defaults and ended up alienating a lot of true Linux users (this was mostly Ubuntu using their sway to do it.)

On Wed July 21 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> Could you not just hold back the KDE3 to KDE4 upgrade when you upgrade
> Debian?

the problem is applications that require KDE4 libs.. I've already run into
that more than once.In the end, I'm sure I will have to upgrade to KDE4, but
I know my wife won't be happy for a while...

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800
Registered Ubuntu User #12459