From: Paul Cartwright on
On Wed July 21 2010, Jordon Bedwell wrote:
> This reminds me of when they started messing with GNOME and started
> switching defaults and ended up alienating a lot of true Linux users (this
> was mostly Ubuntu using their sway to do it.)

I was always a KDE user, through a few years of learning SUSE, and then when I
started Debian, 2 years ago. I had a problem with debian logging me out when
my wifes switched users, and i solved the problem by switching my desktop to
gnome, it no longer logged me out. I learned to like gnome, so I stick with
it! but she still uses KDE3. So I guess my choices are to get her to use
gnome now, or wait for the squeeze upgrade & make her use KDE4..

--
Paul Cartwright
Registered Linux user # 367800

On Wednesday 21 July 2010 10:45:06 Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> In
> the long run, you'll either have to accept KDE4 or use the fork of KDE
> 3.5 at http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/.

Or choose something else. CLI? Fluxbox? Another DE? Trinity looks
promissing, but seems to be focussed on Ubuntu.

Now that poses a real dilemma. Which to abandon? KDE 3.5.x or Debian??

Lisi

On Wed, Jul 21, 2010 at 02:43:11PM +0100, Lisi wrote:
> On Wednesday 21 July 2010 10:45:06 Sjoerd Hardeman wrote:
> > In
> > the long run, you'll either have to accept KDE4 or use the fork of KDE
> > 3.5 at http://trinity.pearsoncomputing.net/.
>
> Or choose something else. CLI? Fluxbox? Another DE? Trinity looks
> promissing, but seems to be focussed on Ubuntu.
>
> Now that poses a real dilemma. Which to abandon? KDE 3.5.x or Debian??

I switched to XFCE, and I'm not looking back. The awful bloat and
unresponsiveness of KDE4 made it a breath of fresh air! It does
almost everything I need and I'm pretty happy with it. Certainly
much happier than I am with the state of current Gnome and KDE.

Regards,
Roger

--
.''`. Roger Leigh