From: Freeman on
On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 12:06:51PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a dialup modem.
>
> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>
> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf always contains:
>
> nameserver 148.240.118.40
> nameserver 189.209.208.181
>
> although the timestamp on the file changes with each connection:
>
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 53 2010-04-03 11:00 resolv.conf
>
> Now the problem:
>
> Several times a day internet communication stops and all that
> appears on the status bar of iceweasel is 'Looking up xxxx' where
> xxxx is the site that was being displayed.
>
> This is only resolved when you take down the ppp0 interface and
> bring it back up, redialling the ISP.
>
> And the same nameservers appear in resolv.conf.
>
> Can anyone explain this behavior? And what to do about it?
>
> BTW it again happened at 11:00 as you can see.

Always start with the simplest explanation that works.

Your dialup provider, your phone company or your phone line periodically
drops you.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:09:11PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> Dodgy copper between me and the ISP? In Mexico? You mean dangling
> copper? Like that thing hanging down from the pole in front of the
> house and that banged-up box on the corner that everybody puts their
> left-over soda's on?

If there is a history of dialing up and reconnecting without issue, other
than dial-tones, I'd say start with the ISP. Other failures would seem more
likely to effect retries.

--
Kind Regards,
Freeman

http://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

Run Pppconfig and enable either "Persist" or "Demand".
--
John Hasler

Freeman wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 03, 2010 at 01:09:11PM -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

>> Dodgy copper between me and the ISP? In Mexico? You mean dangling
>> copper? Like that thing hanging down from the pole in front of the
>> house and that banged-up box on the corner that everybody puts their
>> left-over soda's on?
>>

> If there is a history of dialing up and reconnecting without issue, other
> than dial-tones, I'd say start with the ISP. Other failures would seem more
> likely to effect retries.

But we run Linux. The ISP will say it's my problem for running Linux.

Hugo

Wayne wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I have a dialup modem.
>>
>> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>>
>> /etc/ppp/resolv.conf always contains:
>>
>> nameserver 148.240.118.40
>> nameserver 189.209.208.181
>
> Don't know. Have you contacted your ISP to see of they are correct?
> DNS servers are usually under the ISP's address range.
>
> They look strange to me as the first one is in Montevideo UY and the
> next is in Mexico. But I do not know how they do DNS in SA

They work now because I can 'dig www.google.com' and get 216.239.32.10
and then 'host 216.239.32.10' and get

Name: ns1.google.com
Address: 216.239.32.10

How did you get Montevideo UY and Mexico for the nameservers?

I do 'dig 148.240.118.40' and get
------------------------
; <<>> DiG 9.7.0-P1 <<>> 148.240.118.40
;; global options: +cmd
;; Got answer:
;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 0, AUTHORITY: 1, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;148.240.118.40. IN A

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
.. 10800 IN SOA A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET.
NSTLD.VERISIGN-GRS.COM. 2010040400 1800 900 604800 86400

;; Query time: 179 msec
;; SERVER: 148.240.118.40#53(148.240.118.40)
;; WHEN: Sun Apr 4 10:32:19 2010
;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 107
First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7