From: Camaleón on
On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:06:51 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

> I have a dialup modem.
>
> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.

Is there any chance you could setup pppconfig to use "static
nameservers"? If yes, choose that and set the nameservers you want
(openDNS or Google ones should be fine for testing purposes).

After that, if you still experience the name lookup "lag" problem, then
you cannot blame the dns servers... just your ISP :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón

Mihira Fernando wrote:
> On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 10:42:49 -0500
> Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:
>
>> But if it dropped me I would see a SIGHUP in syslog and I don't. I
>> can still ping the IP that was assigned to me.
>>
>> Hugo
>
> You can always ping the IP assigned to you from your OWN PC. At the
> times you cannot resolve any domains, can you ping external IPs ? such
> as 8.8.8.8 (google DNS).

I can now host 8.8.8.8 and get google-public-dns-a.google.com
I can dig google-public-dns-a.google.com and get
google-public-dns-a.google.com. 86283 IN A 8.8.8.8

But when I ping 8.8.8.8 I get no response even though I can resolve domains.

firewall is off.

Hugo

On Sun, 04 Apr 2010 12:00:52 -0500
Hugo Vanwoerkom <hvw59601(a)care2.com> wrote:

> I can now host 8.8.8.8 and get google-public-dns-a.google.com
> I can dig google-public-dns-a.google.com and get
> google-public-dns-a.google.com. 86283 IN A 8.8.8.8
>
> But when I ping 8.8.8.8 I get no response even though I can resolve
> domains.
>
> firewall is off.

There must be a firewall somewhere down the line as google's public DNS
on 8.8.8.8 is a pingable IP (At least, I can ping it from here).

Can you ping any external address at all ?
google.com for example.

Wayne wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>> Wayne wrote:

> <--- SNIP --->
>>

>> They work now because I can 'dig www.google.com' and get 216.239.32.10
>> and then 'host 216.239.32.10' and get
>>
>> Name: ns1.google.com
>> Address: 216.239.32.10
>>
>> How did you get Montevideo UY and Mexico for the nameservers?

>>> Don't know. Have you contacted your ISP to see of they are correct?
>>> DNS servers are usually under the ISP's address range.
>>>
>>> They look strange to me as the first one is in Montevideo UY and the
>>> next is in Mexico. But I do not know how they do DNS in SA
>>
> whois 148.240.118.40
>
> whois 189.209.208.181

Yup. Thanks
But that's what they are.

Hugo

Camaleón wrote:
> On Sat, 03 Apr 2010 12:06:51 -0600, Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
>
>> I have a dialup modem.
>>
>> Pppconfig configured the connection with 'nameservers dynamic'.
>
> Is there any chance you could setup pppconfig to use "static
> nameservers"? If yes, choose that and set the nameservers you want
> (openDNS or Google ones should be fine for testing purposes).
>
> After that, if you still experience the name lookup "lag" problem, then
> you cannot blame the dns servers... just your ISP :-)

Let me try that.
I'll report back.

Hugo

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last